[TUTORIAL] Make GPUs work on Windows 10/11 pro

hgomes

Oct 17, 2022
It took me a long time to have a GPU working on my old Dell PowerEdge T320 (config below) running Windows 10 Pro as the host. After I managed to get it working, the Idrac got busted and every time I had to restart the machine I had to click F1. When you are using Windows, restarting happens all the time and having to click F1 every time was bothersome, so I installed Proxmox. as suggested by a Reddit member.

It was a lot of fun to have Proxmox working properly, with new VMs – I was used to using VirtualBox. I even managed to create a VM with my previous Windows registration, and it worked out fine. Except for the GPU.

That is why I decided to share my experiences here, maybe they will help someone else.

To install the GPU I followed the instructions from here - https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough.

After some (actually, a lot of) work, my GPU was working flawlessly on Windows 11 (yes, I updated as soon as I could and during the fine-tuning, just to make things harder ):
task.jpg

VM Configuration (ignore Proxmox version):
conf.jpg

Host Configuration: https://www.dell.com/support/manual...bdfcc6-3ab0-4ca0-ae9b-d1c76a959dcc&lang=en-us. My machine has 96 GB RAM, a Xeon E5-2400 v2, four 1 TB HDD 7.200 RPM, AMD FirePro W5100 GPU and one DisplayPort headless connector. As I said above, the Idrac is busted but everything else works fine.

Sometimes the GPU doesn’t show on Task Manager anymore – i.e., after a hardware restart – so I have to do this:
  1. Shutdown VM
  2. Remove GPU from the VM
  3. Reposition headless connector – I always do this more than once because it had failed before with just one repositioning
  4. Start VM
  5. Remove hidden GPU drivers (see below if you don’t know how to use the Device Manager)
  6. Shutdown VM
  7. Add GPU to the VM
  8. Start VM
  9. Install GPU drivers from the manufacturer's installer
  10. Follow installer instructions
  11. Enjoy
This order might seem weird but it’s the one that works all the time. You can try doing #3 after #6, but sometimes it doesn’t work, so I’d say the above suggestion is the best option.

The GPU will work flawlessly until it doesn’t; then you have to do it again. Gladly, it doesn’t happen very often. Or at least it didn't: Proxmox has been rebooting more often lately and I haven't figured out why yet.

If you restart the VM normally – after an update, for example – and the GPU is gone you might have to do this: https://curtisshoward.com/post/fixing-amd-gpu-passthrough-reset-issues-in-windows/. Mine restarts fine, I only lose the GPU on a hardware restart.

My machine, even being as old as it is, runs better than the I7 7th gen I use at work. I am really happy with my setup and that is also why I decided to share it with you all.

Hope you like it and that it helps.

Device Manager Procedure, in case you need:

Open Device Manager and go to “ Show hidden devices” under “ View”

Picture1.png

Open Display adapters and right-click the one you want to uninstall:

Picture2.png

Check “ Attempt to remove the driver for this device” and click “Uninstall”

Picture3.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the nice tutorial :) Could you mark it as 'Tutorial' so it hopefully reaches people that might find it useful?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!