Mail to internal port is being SPF-filtered

May 20, 2017
Netherlands
cyberfusion.io
Hi,

From the admin guide and forums, I gather that email sent to the internal port should not be SPF-filtered. It makes no sense to do so for relayed mail, where PMG is a smarthost.

However, this mail is being filtered: it's rejected because of the KAM_DMARC_REJECT SpamAssassin rule (6 points by default).

What am I doing wrong?

Code:
root@pmg0:~# cat /etc/pmg/pmg.conf
section: admin
    advfilter 1
    dailyreport 0
    dkim_selector pmg
    dkim_sign 1
    email engineering@cyberfusion.nl

section: mail
    hide_received 1
    int_port 587
    tls 1
    tlslog 1
    verifyreceivers 550

section: spam
    use_bayes 1

section: spamquar
    lifetime 2

I aso tried changing the internal SMTP port from 587 to its default 26 (in case it's hardcoded somewhere), which didn't help.

Last edited:
However, this mail is being filtered: it's rejected because of the KAM_DMARC_REJECT SpamAssassin rule (6 points by default).
the SPF-checks that are done on the external port and not the internal one are done by pmgpolicy and lead to a SMTP-diaglog-level rejection (in case the SPF policy says so) - they are independent of the SpamAssassin analysis (which in turn does not distinguish between internal and external port)

You could lower the score in general, or generate a custom spamassassin rule and config, that allow-lists your internal networks

I hope this helps!

I have the same Problem here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/disable-outgoing-spf-dkim-checks.152546/

> You could lower the score in general,
Not a solution ;)

> or generate a custom spamassassin rule and config,
> that allow-lists your internal networks
From my understanding, you can whitelist an ip, but this will allow to much. or?

The real solution is to disable SPF and DKIM spamassasin checks for "outgoing mails" over tcp/26

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!