Mail gateway - filter internal mail/domains

Andrei B.

Mar 30, 2020
Hello , I have a small issue with PMG, smarthost works great , no problems with external mail incoming or outgoing, everything gets sent through PMG. The issue i have is with the internal mail, it doesn't get filtered. For example cpanel is set with PMG server as smarthost, as said above all external mail works great, but the mail sent from one domain to another on that cpanel ( VPS, EXIM ) is not filtered, i have no trace of it in tracking center.

My question, is there a way to filter the internal mail from one user/domain to another ?

Thank you !

but the mail sent from one domain to another on that cpanel ( VPS, EXIM ) is not filtered, i have no trace of it in tracking center.
If I understand your request correctly - this is quite expected
if both source and destination mail is on the same server the server routes the mail directly (and not via its smarthost (it only uses the smarthost for mails which are outbound)

I hope this helps!

So there are no changes that i can make on the PMG part of the problem , I need to find a solution on the EXIM/Cpanel part of it.
Am I right ?

Thank you !

So there are no changes that i can make on the PMG part of the problem , I need to find a solution on the EXIM/Cpanel part of it.
That would be my first guess - yes.

You can find out if there's anything on PMG you can do by checking the logs - if there is no connection from your EXIM/Cpanel to PMG when sending such a mail - the config-change needs to happen there

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!