[SOLVED] Mail alerts not sent with 'datacenter default'

scyto

Aug 8, 2023
The text in this box is wrong or there is bug (or my minor changes in postfix main.cf messed it up).
Either way - this is not true - it sends by default from rootl@hostname

If I correct this box to be the same as my datacenter configuration system@mydomain.com the mail works as it should.

1696212933999.png

this is my main.cf on one of my nodes (same on all)

Code:
# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

myhostname=pve1.mydomain.com
mydomain=mydomain.com
# myorigin = $mydomain

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
relayhost = postfix.mydomain.com:25
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
recipient_delimiter = +

compatibility_level = 2

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

Attachments

• 1696212890065.png
    1696212890065.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: liptech
Thanks for the report, I'll look into it!

Found the issue, it was a small typo in the code. Thanks again for reporting!
Cool i was half expecting this to be my stupidity :)

QQ (and its ok if you don't know the answer) when i use the command line app 'reportbug' no matter what I do my mail service rejects the mail as coming from mailer-daemon.

My mail flow goes: pbs/pve node postifx > a postifx relay > MS 365

pbs mails have been working beautifully (and with the fix above so will pve), so i am stumped why i can't get reportbug to do the same thing....

Last edited:
QQ (and its ok if you don't know the answer) when i use the command line app 'reportbug' no matter what I do my mail service rejects the mail as coming from mailer-daemon.
I have zero experience with reportbug - but judging from the man page, it seems to have a lot of configuration options. It looks like you can configure the 'from' address there.

The text in this box is wrong or there is bug (or my minor changes in postfix main.cf messed it up).
Either way - this is not true - it sends by default from rootl@hostname

If I correct this box to be the same as my datacenter configuration system@mydomain.com the mail works as it should.

View attachment 56015

this is my main.cf on one of my nodes (same on all)

Code:
# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

myhostname=pve1.mydomain.com
mydomain=mydomain.com
# myorigin = $mydomain

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
relayhost = postfix.mydomain.com:25
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
recipient_delimiter = +

compatibility_level = 2

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
Dear scyto,
Excuse my ignorance, but where do I access this screen in the GUI??
Please, I'm learning Proxmox in production and one of the things I had the most difficulty finding was the email settings.
Thank you very much in advance!

Please, I'm learning Proxmox in production and one of the things I had the most difficulty finding was the email settings.
yes the gui could, umm, do with some optimization

1. set the mail from in options on the datacenter node
1696371037214.png

2. for now (until this bugfix makes it way into production) set the same from address on the ntofication target

1696371195211.png

1696212933999.png
Excuse my ignorance, but where do I access this screen in the GUI??

It is currently only available in pvetest:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories#sysadmin_test_repo

Cool, will test, already running some other test components.

Maybe I misunderstand something, but you must already be on: pvetest with your PVE 8.0.6 and the new notifications feature, because: pve-no-subscription is currently still on PVE 8.0.4 without this feature.

Maybe I misunderstand something,
i thought you were telling me the fix to my issue was already in pvetest, serves me right for using my phone, lol
i had no idea this feature was a test feature

Do you have anything particular in mind? Especially regarding the new notification system?
As you asked... putting my product manager hat on (my day job) - my meta feedback is around the split of what i would think of as related items into different areas.

For example:
  • have the data center option about mail in the notifications not in options (yes i know this a new feature)
  • the ceph detail which is global is in each of the nodes ceph leaf not the data center ceph leaf
  • storage at the data center being disparate from disks at the node level make it hard for folks to understand the relationships (this one is hard than the previous two give disks are inherently tied to node)
  • migration, HA and scheduling settings in options not in the HA node
If this were a commercial product i would say these sorts of rough edges are important, as an open source product i wouldn't prioritize these sorts of UI changes at all if it we me :) unless they directly where inhibiting adoption / creating support burden on forums etc

have the data center option about mail in the notifications not in options (yes i know this a new feature)
I agree, that also bugs me a bit. This is a 'left-over' from the 'old' notification system and was kept for compatibility reasons. I'd prefer to eliminate it completely if I'm honest and only use the per-endpoint 'From' address settings - but that has to wait until a major version bump (in other words: Proxmox VE 9.0). That's also the reason why I was hesitant to move it to the new notification settings panel.

If this were a commercial product i would say these sorts of rough edges are important, as an open source product i wouldn't prioritize these sorts of UI changes at all if it we me :)
Ironing out rough edges is definitely a priority for us as well. The fact that our code base is open source doesn't really change anything in that regard. The bulk of the development work is done by paid Proxmox employees who strive to deliver a top notch product ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!