MAC Addresses in GUI

spetrillo

Feb 15, 2024
Hello all,

I think I know the answer to this question(No) but I am going to ask it anyways. Is there any way to get the MAC of all my interfaces populated in the Network section of the PVE GUI? It would really be helpful to have that information, especially when you are trying to set MACs for VFs.

Thanks,
Steve

Thinking outside the box, you can get the MAC address with nmap.

nmap 192.168.1.251 |grep MAC
MAC Address: BC:24:11:6Q:61:7C (Unknown)

Refined:

nmap 192.168.1.251 |grep MAC |awk '{print $3}'
BC:24:11:6B:61:7C

Last edited:
Yes that does work...but since I was in the GUI I was hoping there was a way to add into the GUI..thank you though!

There is no way I know of to get this in the GUI, yet you can get it via CLI. PVE VM/container configuration is just text files in /etc/pve, so you can just grep the folder for mac= and get what you want:

Code:
grep -irEe '(hwaddr|virtio|net)=[0-9A-B]' /etc/pve

You may need to add some other network devices, these are the ones I use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!