LXC with Rocky Linux and IPV6 drops the IPV6 connection after a couple of minutes

Jun 26, 2023
When i create a container with Rocky Linux from the image provided by proxmox (rockylinux-9-default_20221109) and try to assign an IPv6 address to it, the IPv6 works for a couple of minutes, after which it simply drops. When i run ip -6 route, the routes that were previously there disappear. Using the same exact set of steps but when instead of going for rocky linux i go for debian-12-standard_12.2-1, everything works fine.

I looked for a long while but have not found anything that would help, and i'm not sure if this is a rocky linux issue, LXC/RL, Proxmox/LXC/RL issue... I'm happy to provide any info deemed useful, as i am not sure what that could be upfront since it works with debian...

I have the following proxmox setup:

Kernel Version Linux 6.5.13-1-pve (2024-02-05T13:50Z)
Manager Version pve-manager/8.1.4/ec5affc9e41f1d7

I'm having a very similar issue where Rocky Linux fails to get a DHCPv6 address on boot with the following error:

Code:
<warn>  [1720894763.9910] ndisc[0x5dc9b8185410,"eth0"]: solicit: failure sending router solicitation: Address family not supported by protocol (97)

After a couple of minutes it will properly get a DHCPv6 IP address and after another couple of minutes it will loose that IP again and once more on the next refresh it will get another DHCPv6 IP but it will have switched its DUID so it gets the wrong one.

Very strange.

Are IPv6 router advertisement allowed inbound
Yes, the router advertisments go through (and get a response) on the second attempt and the correct IP is assigned.

The other containers running Fedora and Ubuntu also don't have this issue on the same network.

edit: ipv6 automatic address , require firewall inbound NPD rules which Proxmox allow by default.
"Router Advertisement" in Firewall settings is for CT acting as "ipv6 router" not ipv6 "client".

To confirm missing firewall rules, disable firewall within guest, temporarly.

Last edited:
edit: seems confirmed : Rocky9 ipv6 automatic address broken since kernel 6.8
edit2 : it seems works after many minutes where ipv6 is instant with kernel before 6.8

just tried a Rocky 9 CT on PVE 8.0 + Kernel 6.2.16-3 , ipv6 works with DHCP or SLAAC.
upgraded PVE to 8.2 + Kernel 6.8.4-2 (shipped with the iso) , unable to get an ipv6 with DHCP or SLAAC.
upgraded to Kernel 6.8.8-2 from no subscription repo , unable to get automatic ipv6
reboot with older kernel 6.2.16 , ipv6 works with DHCP or SLAAC.
upgraded to kernel 6.5.13-5 , ipv6 works with DHCP or SLAAC.

debian11+12+ alpine CT ok with kernel 6.8.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!