LXC strange upload network speed

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
Hello.
I have moved a VPS configuration to LXC with debian and from the 90MB/s of the VPS , now I can reach only 40MB/s with the container.
Also occour that a download start at 40MB/s and go down around 25/30 MB/s.... The available host bandwidth is 1Gbps.

If I start other downloads at the same time, the download bandwidth don't encrease, but remain around 30/MB/s and the speed of each transfer is divided within the 30MB

The lxc ram is free for 70%, the host cpu 50%, host RAM 35% free.
The LXC is behind OPNSENSE firewall... therefore i have tried to give more ram and cpu to the firewall..
but no results...

on the VPS i was using multiqueque to 8, but with LXC there no parameters to set....

What can be the problem...?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

I guess you use the wrong type of vnic on the Opensense.
The 30 MB/s sounds like an e1000. Use a virtio for the Opensense and disable the hardware checksum offload.

Hi,

I guess you use the wrong type of vnic on the Opensense.
The 30 MB/s sounds like an e1000. Use a virtio for the Opensense and disable the hardware checksum offload.
Yes, but with Virtio I can reach only 20Mb/s..
I was tried to use e100 for this problem, poor speed with virtio instead of e100..

What can be the problem?
offload etc.. are disabled from months :)

What do you use as phy Nic for this vnic?

I'm not using opensense, but there are two things about performance with IDS.

1.) how many threads do you use? I would look at the processes, and maybe you have only one Suricata process with about 100% utilization.
2.) the latency will increase if you use IDS to reduce the max bandwidth.

If you use IDS, I would consider using for the WAN a passthrough NIC or VF if you nic support this.

I'm not using opensense, but there are two things about performance with IDS.

1.) how many threads do you use? I would look at the processes, and maybe you have only one Suricata process with about 100% utilization.
2.) the latency will increase if you use IDS to reduce the max bandwidth.

If you use IDS, I would consider using for the WAN a passthrough NIC or VF if you nic support this.
Hello, thanks for your support.
I use 8 thread and IPS it's not set to reduce bandwidth.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!