LVM Beginner Question

Silvaire

Nov 4, 2015
Hi all. This is most assuredly an easy question but I have exhausted my googling skills trying to figure it out. I just recently reinstalled Proxmox in order to set up my VM's on LVM. I'm not at all experienced with LVM but trying to learn it.

I have a situation where I restored a container from a backup onto LVM but I want to increase the hard disk space for that container. I thought this was something that was somewhat easier to do with LVM. I expanded the logical volume's space using lvextend but I cannot figure out what to do after that. I have tried resize2fs on both host and in the container but both do not work whether the container is running or not.

The LV in question is "/dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1". LV size shows correctly in host when typing lvdisplay. Space is not usable yet within the container's filesystem. Does this have something to do with the LVM storing directly on block and not having a filesystem to expand?

Using this command on host "resize2fs /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1" results in "open: No such file or directory while opening /dev/pve/vm-101-disk-1". I am also guessing that I may have lost the ability to resize the root FS when going from directories to LMV. Is this the issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!