Low power mini-pc + sshd for storage

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Hi there.
I'm about to replace my HP 800 G1 with HP 600 G4 as low-power Proxmox host. For now I barely use it on my homelab - mainly LXC Pi-Hole etc.
Since I'm about to finally switch to nvme support I'm planning to use NVME for host os + some light vm/containers plus small NAS/DLNA and/or NextCloud on 2,5" drive. Now, I wonder if there are any benefits/drawbacks using SSHD drive for storage instead of regular HDD. Oh, and most important thing.. since it's a 'hybrid' drive does it need to be extra configured for combining/using drive platter and NAND together? As far as I remember on windows there was some Intel Rapid setup required in order to accelerate drive throughput (some sort of raid-array had to be set).

Ain't gonna SATA SSD for now - don't have spare one atm, also not planning to invest more for now - in future: probably.

As a data point, I've used some 4TB Seagate SSHD's with TrueNAS (for a few years) as members of a RAIDZ1 pool.

When used in that way, there was no perceptible performance difference from them compared to any other standard 4TB drive.

From my point of view, it's not worth spending any extra money on SSHD's vs standard HDDs.

Bear in mind that I've not used them with Proxmox at all, and probably never will (mostly doing SSD only stuff now).

Last edited:
You could also use ZFS with proper Enterprise SSDs and SMR CMR HDDs. That way you could create your own kind of hybrid storage by using the HDD for bigger data and an partition of your NVMe SSD for storing all metadata and smaller files. Have a look at the ZFS "special" vdevs.

Last edited:
You could also use ZFS with proper Enterprise SSDs and SMR HDDs. That way you could create your own kind of hybrid storage by using the HDD for bigger data and an partition of your NVMe SSD for storing all metadata and smaller files. Have a look at the ZFS "special" vdevs.
Worth thinking, not in my case though since I'm about to use small NVME drive (~250G). Mainly for PVE itself plus come LXC, later on perhapse 1-2 VMs. Additional (yet obviously internal) 2,5" drive mailny for storage purposes (small NAS, NextCloud).
Just wondered if having (not hunting for one and buying) SSHD needs some specific tweaks in order to work as designed. I guess I'm about to leave my current setup as it is, i3-8100T, 8-16GB RAM, 250G NVMe ~ 500G hdd will do. Might switch to 1TB if I'll find one laying around somewhere.

Um, isn't SMR HDDs pretty much exactly the wrong kind of HDD?
You are right, that's a typo. I've meant CMR HDDs. SMR should be avoided when using ZFS (and in general...no matter what you are planning to do with them...aren't even suitable as a drive for backups because of the terrible write performance once you try to write more than several dozens of GBs at once).

Last edited:
Reactions: justinclift

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!