[SOLVED] Lost network after small update

itstiminnit

Jul 31, 2024
I ran the latest update via the GUI yesterday (there were only about 3 items, I regularly update) which included updating to the 0.5.0 version of the firewall (probably a red herring, I've never configured the proxmox firewall). I also did a little housekeeping and ran an apt autoremove to get rid of old kernel files.

This morning my proxmox instance was unreachable, and checking locally on the machine it has no network connection. I can ping 127.0.0.1 and its local IP address, but pinging anything else returns "Destination Host Unreachable".

I've checked
Code:
ip a
and
Code:
/etc/network/interfaces
and the interfaces seem to match still:
ip.jpg
network.jpg
The network kernel driver seems to be ok (I previously had problems with r8169 and I had to swap to r8168 driver, but I swapped back to the default kernel driver a while back):

driver.jpg

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

Looks good. Try to ping your gateway from proxmox to 192.168.1.1
Firewall disable on cluster in file
/etc/pve/firewall/cluster.fw

firewall disable on host/node in file
/etc/pve/nodes/your_node_name/host.fw

192.168.1.1 is unreachable
/etc/pve/firewall/cluster.fw has enabled: 0
/etc/pve/nodes/<my node>/host.fw doesn't exist

Hardware problem?
Link directly proxmox and test computer. Set on this computer addres 192.168.1.xxx/24 and try ping both directions.

Last edited:
I've swapped the network connection with a different cable/port on my switch that I know is working.
Unfortunately the only other machine I have with ethernet in the house is a locked down work laptop.

Last edited:
It looks like as suggested this was a hardware problem.
I took the server apart, cleaned and re-seated everything and it started working again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!