Lost my connection after a kernel update

thusband

Jun 30, 2022
I ran a kernel update today and lost my connection when rebooting. I'm running Proxmox on a Beelink mini PC. The only way to get it back seems to be plugging in a USB flashcard with the Proxmox image on it (like I was going to reinstall Proxmox). I can then get the Proxmox login on the monitor I hooked up. At that point I can then access Proxmox on my laptop using the IP address and it runs normally. If I remove the flashcard and reboot it's gone again.

I'm including the log for that time period when I ran the kernel update and tried to restart. Does it tell why this happens? Is it fixable?

Any help greatly appreciated.

The new kernel version sometimes renames the network devices: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Known_Issues_.26_Breaking_Changes
If it is indeed this common issue then use ip a to find the new name and adjust /etc/network/interfaces accordingly.
I don't think that's the case here. After I hook up the monitor, plug in the flashcard on the mini PC and hit F12 to get the PVE boot up I can then use the same IP address to login on my home network laptop and things are normal.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!