Lost a Boot drive, Raid 1, Rebuild corrupted remaining good drive

300cpilot

Mar 24, 2019
So as you read I am kinda screwed. What I would like to know is if I reinstall on the new boot drives will it be able to read the data on the existing ZFS drives. Consisting of 12 drives and 2 SSD's? Boot drives are Raid1 on an HP raid controller. Storage are on a separate controller.

I can still read from the boot drives if I use a linux boot drive. Is there a config that I can grab?

Should be no problem to import the ZFS pool. But in case you stored your VMs on that ZFS pool you still need the VM/LXC config files from your boot drive. But its hard to get them because when the PVE services aren't running your /etc/pve folder, that stores all the PVE configs, will be empty. that because /etc/pve is just a mountpoint of a special filesystem that is stored on a SQLite DB. See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)
I guess you didn't got a recent backup of your /etc/pve folder?
Without getting the PMXCFS to work there aren't much config files you can rescue. Maybe the /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/vzdump.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.

Last edited:
Live and learn. Can I automate backing up the /etc/pve folder? No backup exists currently of the root filesystem, just the CT's. Nothing critical was lost except my time. But next time I wish to be better prepared.

Live and learn. Can I automate backing up the /etc/pve folder? No backup exists currently of the root filesystem, just the CT's. Nothing critical was lost except my time. But next time I wish to be better prepared.
Sure, but not using the GUI. You could create a cron entry to simple tar the "/etc" contents and move it somewhere. Or I personally use cron to backup my most important system disk folders using to the proxmox-backup-client to my Proxmox Backup Server (PBS).

Ok, I was thinking I had missed something in the gui. Looking into an rsync solution now.
Thanks again for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!