Losing NFS share connection

J

jerim

I know this isn't necessarily the right group for this issue, but I wanted to cover all my bases and make sure this issue didn't have something to do with Proxmox.

I have set up a DRBD cluster for replicating a drbd volume across two servers. Each server has its own IP address (10.89.99.31 and 10.89.99.32). I also have a collocated IP address (10.89.99.30) used for mounting the volume on other computers. I am using cman and pacemaker.

I can mount the volume with no issues using 10.89.99.30. When I unplug the network cable from my second storage server, the computer will lose connectivity to the NFS share, even though the IP address shows it is shared. I can still ping 10.89.99.30, but I can’t find the share using
showmount -e 10.89.99.30​

I am just wondering if there is anything in Proxmox with the way it handles NFS shares. I don't understand NFS thoroughly but I understand that NFS handles can become stale. I don't know if Proxmox is able to work with a collocated IP address. I understand there would probably be a delay of a few minutes as it switches over to the other server, but I was expecting it to come back up on its own after migrating.

I wanted to attach my cluster.conf file, but ran into some problems so I am pasting it here. I am just looking for a push in the right direction.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?><cluster name="Cluster" config_version="6">
    <cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
    </cman>
    <fencedevices>
        <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="NODE1" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.89.99.51" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
        <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="NODE2" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.89.99.50" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
        <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="NODE3" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.89.99.49" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
        <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="NODE4" lanplus="1" ipaddr="10.89.99.48" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
    </fencedevices>

<clusternodes>
    <clusternode name="NODE1" votes="1" nodeid="1">
        <fence>
            <method name="1">
                 <device name="NODE1"/>
            </method>
        </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="NODE2" votes="1" nodeid="2">
        <fence>
            <method name="1">
                 <device name="NODE2"/>
            </method>
        </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="KNTCLCN003" votes="1" nodeid="3">
        <fence>
            <method name="1">
                 <device name="NODE3"/>
            </method>
        </fence>
    </clusternode>
    <clusternode name="NODE4" votes="1" nodeid="4">
        <fence>
            <method name="1">
                 <device name="NODE4"/>
            </method>
        </fence>
    </clusternode>

</clusternodes>
<rm>
    <service autostart="1" exclusive="0" name="ha_test_ip" recovery="relocate">
        <ip address="10.89.99.30"/>
    </service>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="100"/>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="101"/>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="102"/>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="103"/>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="104"/>
    <pvevm autostart="1" vmid="105"/>
    <failoverdomains>
      <failoverdomain name="Failover" nofailback="1" ordered="1" restricted="1">
        <failoverdomainnode name="NODE1" priority="1"/>
        <failoverdomainnode name="NODE2" priority="10"/>
        <failoverdomainnode name="NODE3" priority="20"/>
        <failoverdomainnode name="NODE4" priority="30"/>
      </failoverdomain>
    </failoverdomains>
</rm>
</cluster>

Last edited by a moderator:
I've setup HA NFS servers using DRBD in the past, but not in Proxmox.

I remember that /var/lib/nfs needed to be symlinked to a directory that is on the filesystem on top of DRBD so connection info/file locks etc would also be replicated.
Without that on failover things will not work as expected.

This old article seems to be similar to how I had my systems setup:
http://www.linux4beginners.info/node/redundant-DRBD-NFS-Heartbeat-free

It was written for heartbeat, but seems to explain things enough that you can adapt it to cman/pacemaker

Re: Losing NFS share connection [SOLVED]

I went back through the DRBD setup using the "Clusters from Scratch" document and found a few things I missed the first time around. I got those corrected and it works now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!