Looking for best approach to a Proxmox home server.

pexerker

Apr 17, 2024
Hello All!
I am new to proxmox and i am looking some ideas, advices abt what or how could be done at the best or simplest or interesting way and with less resource as possible.
Im running my headless linux home server for 12 years now, experimenting a lot, therefore im fairly confident what my needs are.

Current situation - What i am using so far- running currently on Athlon 64 X2 5200B / 8gb ddr2
  • plex, transmission, pihole, smb sharing, github clone rep, usb webcam stream, private teamspeak server
  • Remote access: plex, transm, ssh, https for webcam, TS.
The design contains 3 drives​
  • A: 1x250: system, apps,home drives, git rep
  • B: 1x250: tor, download, TS internal file share, (this is the drive which simply replaced if breaks, no constant or important data)
  • C: 1x1TB: SMB file share (data moved here from B), plex db

Future plan :
The basic HW remains unchanged. Possible upgrade to AMD R5 2400G/16g DDR4 platform.
What i do not use, but want to:
some really lightweight de (probably xfce), restricted sftp service, bittorrent sync (for backup), some more cameras (possibly via zoneminder)

The idea so far is similar:
drive A: "system" proxmox system with all apps in VMs + CTs (TS; Plex; Pi-hole; git; webcam; torr, debian or/and ubuntu VM)
drive B: "temp storage" shared space for all the apps to use & temp storage for downloads, (this is the drive which simply replaced if breaks, no constant or important data)
drive C: "fileshare" shared data storage, accessible for every CT&VM internally. SMB, sftp, (contents would be all kind of data incl webcam files)
The system should allow me to add more hard drives, expansion cards (eg: sas, usb, nic)

Im unsure its all complete, but id be happy if any response comes to it :)

Last edited:
The basic HW: Athlon 64 X2 5200B / 8gb ddr2
I don't think that 20 year old architecture can support HW-virtualization required for a HV setup. You'll also need virtualization support from the BIOS too.

I must say, I'm impressed with your current setup on that HW/RAM (ddr2). You must realize that virtualizing that into a HV setup will require some more resources for the overhead.

Reactions: pexerker
I don't think that 20 year old architecture can support HW-virtualization required for a HV setup. You'll also need virtualization support from the BIOS too.

I must say, I'm impressed with your current setup on that HW/RAM (ddr2). You must realize that virtualizing that into a HV setup will require some more resources for the overhead.
thanks for the words, what i didnt say i was running cpl of game servers as well for my friends (like 7days2die) in the past
also back in the days before that little sff hp desktop became "THE SERVER", i was running vmware tests on it and it does surprisingly well. that cpu has amd-v only and it can do a decent job.
but heres my enthusiasm comes: recently testiing proxmox with a slighly older 2core athlon (no HT) with 4g ram (on a pc i was keeping for XP 16/32 gaming) and it runs with almost all apps i listed there - "runs" surely means empty with testing, thats my beginning and messed up lotta stuff :D
Switching to a R5 2400G/16g dd4 in plans but that depends how my testruns ending

I personally would think about getting one of those cheap (like 200€) N100 MiniPCs, 32GB of RAM, 1TB consumer TLC NVMe with DRAM, backups via VZDump to a USB HDD or NAS. Will be waaaay faster, you could run way more stuff (and/or run them in VMs for additional security) and on the long run it will even save you money if it is only consuming 10-15W instead of maybe 100+W.
Then you could even run some gameserver on it.

Or if you want it cheaper (and old) one of those second hand i3/i5 8XXX SFF business machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: pexerker
I personally would think about getting one of those cheap (like 200€) N100 MiniPCs, 32GB of RAM, 1TB consumer TLC NVMe with DRAM, backups via VZDump to a USB HDD or NAS. Will be waaaay faster, you could run way more stuff (and/or run them in VMs for additional security) and on the long run it will even save you money if it is only consuming 10-15W instead of maybe 100+W.
Then you could even run some gameserver on it.

Or if you want it cheaper (and old) one of those second hand i3/i5 8XXX SFF business machines.
fully agree. thats one of the reason i ignited this post :) on the other hand i corrected the initial post because its misleding.
Im currently
running all of the existing on that system with ubuntu focal headless server, without any issues or hassle.
consumption is around 30-65W (the psu is a 100w "hp" unit) measured through plug&ups, so not estimated.
Just want to be more flexible with proxmox from sw side. the HW i cant spend

therefore im looking for whats the best approach from proxmox and other app design& config?
like:
should i run separate CTs for Pihole, teamspeak, and VM for TrueNas
or use debian vms for plex
or use docker under something something somehow
or something totally crazy but stable
so many choices and possibilities. i have time to experiment on stage
till the time comes to make it on production, all should be decided - for a while

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!