Login not possible from neither console nor web

ricky.i

Oct 29, 2020
Hello everyone!

I've been using Proxmox for a few months now, but today something strange happened.

There was an issue on the boot drive so it asked me to perform a manual fsck of the drive. After that I rebooted and now I cannot login neither from console interface on the local machine, nor from the web interface. On the local machine it keeps asking me the login account, without even trying to ask me the login password. On the web gui, I can connect, but the login fails. I can still connect using ssh, all the VMs seems to be working just fine.

I've tried to update the proxmox os, it worked, but nothing changed.

I was thinking about reinstalling the OS, but I would like to avoid losing everything.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you check PVE syslog or journalctl if there any error?

I was thinking about reinstalling the OS, but I would like to avoid losing everything.
you could make backup for VMs and restore after the new PVE installing

Can you check PVE syslog or journalctl if there any error?
I'm not on the machine now, but syslog reported a permission denied when logging from web GUI and a restart of getty@tty1 when trying to log from console

you could make backup for VMs and restore after the new PVE installing
How can I do it from command line?

However I will replace the PVE boot drive with a new one, because it seems that it's failing, but I would like to restore to correct functionaity before.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!