Local disk full

wifi75

Nov 11, 2019
Hello I can't understand why but I have the local disk almost full while Local-lvm is at half its capacity. can you help me understand how to empty local?
On local no backup, only iso file (500Gb)

1714464306765.png

In a default installation, your disk is divided into two parts at a high level: root filesystem and LVM pool for VM storage.
They both live on the same physical disk. They are both backed by LVM volume group.

Again, as part of the default installation, there are two PVE storage pools: local and local-lvm.
Local is a Directory type storage pool. It points to a directory in the Root Filesystem.
Local-LVM is a separate LVM pool.
Local being full coincides with your Root Filesystem being full. If you run "df -h" you will see a confirmation. You should not run your Root Filesystem at 100%, or even 90%. There will be unpredictable and strange behavior in the OS, and data loss/corruption is possible.

Hope it helps.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

In a default installation, your disk is divided into two parts at a high level: root filesystem and LVM pool for VM storage.
They both live on the same physical disk. They are both backed by LVM volume group.

Again, as part of the default installation, there are two PVE storage pools: local and local-lvm.
Local is a Directory type storage pool. It points to a directory in the Root Filesystem.
Local-LVM is a separate LVM pool.
Local being full coincides with your Root Filesystem being full. If you run "df -h" you will see a confirmation. You should not run your Root Filesystem at 100%, or even 90%. There will be unpredictable and strange behavior in the OS, and data loss/corruption is possible.

Hope it helps.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
what should I do?

1714481093853.png

what should I do?
Many people have been in similar situations before, and, of course, it's not PVE specific.

You should find what is taking up the space. The usual culprit in PVE installation - "/var/lib/vz" which is the location of your "local" storage pool.
It is also possible there are ISOs, or temporary files spread around the root filesystem.

You can google "Linux find what is using disk space" for some guides. You can use "ndcu" as suggested".
If you do not want to install anything, you can use "du", ie:
du -h -x -d1 /
du -h -x -d1 /var
du -h -x -d1 /var/lib

etc.

Good luck

Reactions: Kingneutron
On local no backup, only iso file (500Gb)
Don't see how you've got a 500Gb ISO in a Local Storage of 100Gb. Probably a typo & it should read 500Mb?
Anyway, as already pointed out - you need to clear anything not necessary in Local Storage.
Depending on how long you've run your system you may also want to remove older kernels.

Check the real root /mnt you may have written to it before it was mounted...

To do that,

#umount /mnt

then go into /mnt and use the ncdu or df and see whats in there, surprise surprise?

Try unmounting /mnt then checking the real root /mnt

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Check the real root /mnt you may have written to it before it was mounted...

To do that,

#umount /mnt

then go into /mnt and use the ncdu or df and see whats in there, surprise surprise?

Try unmounting /mnt then checking the real root /mnt

ok but then what should I do to remount the /mnt folder?

Well it appears your NAS was mounted there before. So be careful:

1. Remember clearly what steps you took to mounting your NAS in the first place: CLI or GUI?
2. After umount /mnt & checking ls /mnt etc. removing extra stuff etc.
3. Redo step 1 again to reconnect your NAS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!