[SOLVED] LLDP frames between vms using linux bridge?

sookis

Jan 6, 2021
Hi!
Ive got a setup with 3 arista veos machines and im trying to get lldp working.

Everything else is working as expected, switching and routing is working 100%.

I know that the linux bridge blocks lldp messages by default (sent to the LLDP_Multicast address 01-80-C2-00-00-0E) and other control frames in the 01-80-C2-00-00-xx range.) and Ive tried the setting the 'group_fwd_mask' to 0x4000 on the bridges as suggested in multiple other forums but its not working. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Anyone got this working?

I just tried this here - and the '0x4000' setting for 'group_fwd_mask' works ...
What I tried:
* `tcpdump -envi ens18 not ip and not arp and not icmp` (replace ens18 by the actual physical bridge port)
* `tcpdump -envi vmbr0 not ip and not arp and not icmp` (replace vmbr0 by the bridge you're using)
wait for an lldp frame - it's only visible on ens18
* `echo '0x4000' > /sys/class/net/vmbr0/bridge/group_fwd_mask`
wait for the next lldp frame - it's visible on both ens18 and vmbr0 (and inside a vm, hooked to vmbr0)

things I'd check
* re-verify that the group_fwd_mask got set - `cat /sys/class/net/vmbr0/bridge/group_fwd_mask)
* tcpdump on bridge-ports (tap-devices for virtual guests) - to see where the frames get dropped
* disable any and all firewalls on the involved guests/hosts/switches
* make sure that LLDP is actually configured and sending out frames

I hope this helps!

Reactions: sookis
Thanks for a fast reply!
The group_fwd_mask gets reset after the node is rebooted so they were in fact the default 0x0. But i still couldn't get it to work. I saw the frames in tcpdumps like you said but the neighbor-table was still empty.

I ended up just starting from scratch with your post in mind and now it works! The only thing I did different was disabling firewall when I created the nics. (I disabled them before, but not when I created them). Most likely I did something funny with the veos config the first time.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!