Live migration

C

cogarg

Hello,

I've configured two Proxmox VE 2.0 systems, following the howtos to enable HA/drbd and fencing using ilo.

When i use live migration(from the GUI) to move a kvm guest from one node to another, there's a little(5 to 10 seconds) time period when the guest is not responding to network traffic;
-Ping stops responding for 5-10 seconds even if i set a really big ttl value and use -W 200 on the host i'm pinging from.
-If i got an open ssh connection to the guest and i'm actively typing stuff or running a simple 'top', the session is either dropped or it hangs.

I've been searching for this on the forums/wiki/site, but i haven't found anything telling me that i should or should not be losing any packets when a KVM gets moved to a different node through live migration, so...

Is the behaviour that i'm getting normal?
If not, is there a way for me to 'fix' this?

This is normal behaviour.
Also with a HA setup you have at least a downtime when memory content and cpu state is transmitted. This might take some seconds depending mainly on ram size.
If you want seamless migration you have to take a lot more action. You would need two machines running absolutely in sync, getting same input for a while at least. This needs to be supported in the guest os also I guess.

Regards Holger

5 to 10 seconds seem to be really huge.
When I do live migration, I have some packets loss, but ping never stop to respond.
Maybe an network arp problem ? Do you have both hosts connected on the same switch ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!