Live Migrate VMs that use one or more SDNs -> Workable?

BloodyIron

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2013
it.lanified.com
I know this is probably an open-ended question, but I'm trying to do upgrade and other planning for a client who has a lot of SDNs going on within their PVE Cluster.

There's a few servers in the same rack, connected to I think the same switch (switching equipment is not handled by me), and so far as I know the VLANs between these specific servers are reachable on all of them (the ones in the rack).

Now, I'm a bit green behind the ears for SDNs in PVE, and I wanted to know what kind of pitfalls/success exists for live migrating VMs between PVE Nodes when SDNs come into play. Whether a VM uses one, or more, SDNs, with or without QinQ.

Can anyone give me some insights here please? My GoogleFu didn't really come up with enough of a picture to have reliable confidence in my understanding, and I am not in a position to replicate their environment in mine to the extent theirs is.

Any help appreciated, thanks! :)

SDN's are deployed cluster-wide (unless in cluster -> SDN -> Zones, they are restricted to certain nodes), so as long as the switching-hardware is set up correctly, it should just work.
If you want to be extra sure though, set up a temporary VM (possibly even a live-vm) with an adaptor/IP in each of the networks (all without a gateway set up so it doesn't try to route your traffic between networks), and just ping the gateway and/or a VM on each network and then migrate between all the hosts. If you lose ping-reply, hardware or config is probably not set up correctly.

Reactions: BloodyIron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!