"Live" Migrate disk from one provider to another

eugenevdm

Dec 13, 2020
Hi, need help with the following:

Ubuntu 18.04 Server at Provider #1. The Old Provider. I am migrating all my VMs away from this provider to Provider #2. The New Provider running Proxmox.

At Provider #1, I have no access to the Hypervisor / VM Host. I only have a running Ubuntu 18.04 machine, that's not mission critical. Preferably I want to "bitwise" copy this VM to Provider #2 as I don't feel like re-installing everything, especially the configuration. I don't know what technology Provider #1 is using, but I am guessing Virtualizor, yet no access.

I have full control at Provider #2, it's my Proxmox box and I can do what I want.

So in my naivety, and as a noob, is this possible? I know about "live migration" and "high availability" which allows automatic failover or manual changes from one host to another. But I want to copy the disk. I can down the Ubuntu server so that's not an issue, but I don't see how this is going to help because I can't access the host to copy the VM file, put in on a USB, etc.

Maybe some kind of mirroring thing? Or RSync, god forbid. Please advise.

Last edited:
If you can boot from a live ISO / CD on the old host, you can do all sorts of things. For example use dd to send a copy of the VMs disk via SSH to the new VM / Proxmox host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!