Linux Bridge + VirtIO Performance: Ubuntu vs FreeBSD

mcraven

Jan 17, 2024
I've seen many posts about this but many seem dated...

I have a PVE node running on a C3758R CPU and I've created a Linux Bridge that is bound to a 10Gbps X553 port. On this box, I have 3x VMs and they are all sharing this bridge to my LAN:
1) Ubuntu Server 22.04.4 LTS (x86-64-v2-AES CPU + virtio enet)
2) OPNsense v24.1 [FreeBSD 13.2] (x86-64-v2-AES CPU + virtio enet)
3) pfSense 2.7.2 [FreeBSD 14.0] (x86-64-v2-AES CPU + virtio enet)

To test, I run an iperf server out on my LAN.... iperf from these VMs to the test server gives me ~8Gbps from the Ubuntu machine but both the FreeBSD VMs only give me ~700Mbps. Same bridge... same node... only difference seems to be Linux vs FreeBSD. Is the VirtIO adaptor on the FreeBSD VMs throttled by the firewalling activity???

Can anybody point me to a recent resource or offer some suggestions. I've tried most of the ideas I've found in other posts, including disabling hardware offloading, and enabling multi-queue on the VirtoIO adaptors.

Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
this step was followed... for some reason, the VirtIO adaptor under FreeBSD seems to be throttled to under 1Gbps. I even tried setting up the iperf3 server on the Ubuntu server and just running the test within the PVE node:

Ubuntu VM <--> VirtIO <--> Linux Bridge (PVE) <--> VirtIO <--> FreeBSD VM [result: <1Gbps]

but, if I go from either of these VMs to an iperf3 server that is elsewhere in my LAN (over a 10Gbps wired link):
Ubuntu VM [result: 9Gbps]
FreeBSD VM [result: <1Gbps]

what about ubuntu VM to another ubuntu VM ?
to get your internal virtio nic speed bounded to your CPU.
iperf3 -P is CPU multithreaded only since version 3.16.

Last edited:
what about ubuntu VM to another ubuntu VM ?

DONE! Both tests are run within the same PVE node

Ubuntu VM <--> VirtIO <--> Linux Bridge (PVE) <--> VirtIO <--> FreeBSD VM [result: <1Gbps] <==== OPNsense 24.1
Ubuntu VM <--> VirtIO <--> Linux Bridge (PVE) <--> VirtIO <--> Ubuntu VM [result: ~8-9Gbps]

in OPNsense/pfSense, have you double checked if "hardware checksum offload" is disabled ?

in OPNsense/pfSense, have you double checked if "hardware checksum offload" is disabled ?
I'll double check but I believe the answer is yes. That said, I did it via GUI only... Is there a better way or a command line way to verify?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!