LAN Network for a cluster with multiple nics each cluster and connect to 2 switches

Txurrispo

Mar 8, 2024
Hi all!!

Im testing to make a HA HCI Proxmox cluster. With 3 "old" RX730 servers.
We are testing proxmox in case we cant/want afford the vmware licenses.

Each node has 4 1GB nics.

I want to give each node some redundancie and some bonding of nics.

For now i have only two nics enabled for LAN. On a Bond, with active-backup configuration, with one cable to each of the two rack switches. I done it for each of the 3 nodes.

But i think we can use the 4 nics, but i want some redundancie for the connections on the switches.

What are the best aprroach?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I already have ceph on 10gb nics without switch (Full mesh) . i want to optimeze the LAN 1GB part, because i have more nics available.

Last edited:
Is this factible, logical or/and usable?

I have two 1GB switches, SW01 and SW02, and CEPH covered with 10Gb nics on FULL MESH (No switch).

Each node has 4 nics with 1Gb each. For example eno1 eno2 eno3 and eno4

On each node

Create a LACP Bond named BOND100 with eno1 and eno2, connect it to the SW01.
Create a LACP Bond named BOND101 with eno3 and eno4, connect it to the SW02.
Create a Active-backup bond called BOND200, with BOND100 as primary and slaves BOND100 and BOND101

Then create a Brige with the LAN IP of the host, and as bridge ports BOND200.

The idea is have a LACP of two nics on each switch, having other as backup on the other switch. And only one IP for each node.

I dont know if its realiable.....

Any thought will be apreciated.

Regards.

Last edited:
Any thought will be apreciated.
hi, it's only a feeling, but I don't think it's possible to bond 2 bond-ifaces.
If your switches support MLAG - this would be a way, or maybe a setup with RSTP...

Reactions: Txurrispo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!