KVMs do not network after router and ISP change (6.4 and 7.2)

Sep 14, 2019
I have several Proxmox devices. One hosted many KVMs with IPs assigned by ipfilter. The others used containers with direct assignments.

I recently changed my router and ISP. All of my devices now work again, including all hosts and all containers, but the virtual machines on my first device have no Internet. They cannot ping the public Internet, the host's public address, or the gateway. The host cannot ping their assigned IP.

(Note: Response is From the Host device.)
Code:
root@s01:~# ping x.x.x.132
PING x.x.x.132 (x.x.x.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
From x.x.x.2 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

I have checked the VMs use the host bridge. The bridge's assignment is a /24 that the VM assignment is on.
I have checked VLAN tagging is OFF on both the host and the VM.

Nothing has changed except the router. I'm at a loss.

Host interfaces:
Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address x.x.x.2/24
        gateway x.x.x.1
        bridge-ports eno1 eno2
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        hwaddress xxx
        post-up iptables-restore < /etc/network/iptables.rules

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address xx:2::1/80
        gateway xx::1

I've updated Proxmox from 6.4 to 7.2-11 and while the upgrade was successful, the issue remains.

As a test, I added a CT to the device. It does not network correctly either. The CT cannot ping the host, gateway, or Internet.

After disabling the firewall on the CT, it can ping the host, but not the gateway. The host can ping it as well.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!