[SOLVED] KVM virtualisation not working

brabus

Sep 25, 2022
I made a fresh install of proxmox 7.2-3 on my machine. (AMD 5600g, MSI b550a-pro)
Before this install i was running proxmox as well and had no issue with KVM virtualisation. When i try to start any VM i get the following error:
Code:
TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.
This happens both with restored VMs and newly installed ones. The things that i tried so far:
  • Updating the BIOS(UEFI) and chipset drivers
  • Checked that Virtualisation in BIOS is enabled
  • Reinstalling Proxmox
  • Changing VM BIOS from SeaBIOS to OVMF
  • Turning KVM virtualisation off (VM works but really slow, as expected)

pveversionreturns:
Code:
pve-manager/7.2-3/c743d6c1 (running kernel: 5.15.30-2-pve)
ls -l /dev/kvm returns:
Code:
ls: cannot access '/dev/kvm': No such file or directory
lsmod | grep kvm returns:
Code:
kvm                   999424  0
irqbypass              16384  1 kvm

This server is not in production. All the VMs are running on a different server, so i can risk reinstalling Proxmox if that is needed to solve it.
I attached BIOS screenshots just to be sure.

Attachments

• photo_2022-09-25_15-09-40.jpg
    photo_2022-09-25_15-09-40.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 107
  • photo_2022-09-25_15-09-35.jpg
    photo_2022-09-25_15-09-35.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Updating the BIOS(UEFI) and chipset drivers
That might break virtualization as easily as fix it, unfortunately. What do you mean with updating chipset drivers? Proxmox already comes with all the drivers.
  • Checked that Virtualisation in BIOS is enabled
Please check again, as this is the most likely culprit and might be caused by updating the BIOS.
  • Reinstalling Proxmox
  • Changing VM BIOS from SeaBIOS to OVMF
  • Turning KVM virtualisation off (VM works but really slow, as expected)
Those won't change anything related to hardware virtualization support (called SVM by AMD).

Check if SVM is enabled in BIOS. Check for svm in /proc/cpuinfo using lspcu | grep --color svm. What is the output of lsmod | grep kvm?
Do you get an error when doing modprobe kvm-amd? Does that command fix the issue (temporarily)?
You might want to update your Proxmox as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: semanticbeeng
That might break virtualization as easily as fix it, unfortunately.
You are right. As you have guessed it, BIOS update disabled svm. I couldn't find the setting as it was buried in Overclocking sub menu. I checked BIOS settings maybe 7-8 times but it didn't occur to me to check the OC menu. Here is the video for reference.
What do you mean with updating chipset drivers? Proxmox already comes with all the drivers.
I booted in to Win10 and installed some drivers. I was trying anything to solve the issue. Even if it was far fetched.
Those won't change anything related to hardware virtualization support (called SVM by AMD).
I reinstalled Proxmox to be sure to eliminate if i did something to break it.

lsmod | grep kvm after enabling svm in BIOS returns:
Code:
kvm_amd               151552  0
kvm                   999424  1 kvm_amd
ccp                    98304  1 kvm_amd
before it returned:
Code:
kvm                   999424  0

Thank you for your time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!