KVM Templates

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
I am looking for a simple way to easily create a KVM template where the disk size is variable. Basically, I want to clone a base cPanel server install on Centos7 and then clone that install and resize the /home partition to whatever size the customer wants.

From what I understand, when you clone a system now it basically creates the disk the same size as the template/clone. What would be the best way to accomplish this with out having to rebuild the file system?

Best regards,
Eric

I didn't bother with templates. I created a kickstart file with a local kernel and initrd file that calls my RHEL provisioning engine website (that I wrote in a relatively short amount of time.) I just lay down a new OS for each of my guests rather than cloning, which works out quite well, since my provisioning script can generate the entire disk layout to tailor it for each deployment, including package selection. All of my configuration is done in a %post section in the kickstart file. It works out quite well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!