KVM (Proxmox) / Windows guests / VSS & Quiesce

jwheeler7791

Jun 22, 2017
I'm currently implementing a pretty intensive W2K16 test lab set up for both educational and work use.

The question is this: I've done some reading around the net about issues with VSS/Guest quiesce during backups. Apparently a few years ago, this was an issue with KVM VM guests and it was recommended that anything that needed a steady-state not be virtualized in KVM (i.e. the VSS provider wasn't 100% production ready).

This appears to be solved.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by trying to setup a comprehensive W2K16 domain with all the trimmings (i.e. redundant DC's, SQL Server, etc) and then backing it up utilizing KVM's processes of freezing/thawing? From what I've read, the issues have been fixed and that the VSS provider and quiesce process has been solidified. Does anyone have "real-world" experience with this?

I just don't want to go through the effort and time of configuring a W2K16 domain only to have VSS/quiesce/consistency issues in a backup or DR scenario. I do have ESXi available with all the trimmings as well but despise the new web GUI -- I can go that route if need be. I would just hate to set up vCenter and all that garbage if I didn't have too.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!