KVM for nfs and samba

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello
I'm looking to set up a KVM for sharing files on our local network.

We have 20 users, 30GB of files, of which 50 files would change on average per day.

The KVM would be on highly available storage using drbd.

We'd like to be able to do snapshots within the KVM. It looks like btrfs would be a good choice for that.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which operating system to start using for tests?

thanks

Hi,

I have also deployed many fileservers on proxmox. My suggestion is Debian Squeeze VM (all virtio) SerNet Samba Repository and a customised smb.conf.

I also tried BTRFS but it is far away from stable. For snapshots use LVM2 + XFS. IHMO it is the best combo.

cheers
macday

Hi,

I have also deployed many fileservers on proxmox. My suggestion is Debian Squeeze VM (all virtio) SerNet Samba Repository and a customised smb.conf.

I also tried BTRFS but it is far away from stable. For snapshots use LVM2 + XFS. IHMO it is the best combo.

thanks for quick the response!

Is there anything special you do to configure samba in smb.conf ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!