[SOLVED] Kernel pinning no effect

Ray_

Nov 5, 2021
I got one node which pinning has no effect on. Problem is that this node is affected by the 6.8 crashes.

I already tried the steps outlined in https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/unable-to-pin-kernel.111785/ but even the reinit doesn't make a difference.

Code:
root@proxmox3-ng:~# uname -a
Linux proxmox3-ng 6.8.4-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PMX 6.8.4-2 (2024-04-10T17:36Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux

root@proxmox3-ng:~# proxmox-boot-tool kernel list
Manually selected kernels:
None.

Automatically selected kernels:
6.5.13-5-pve
6.8.4-2-pve

Pinned kernel:
6.5.13-5-pve

That's also the node I change the rpool disks based on this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/replace-512gb-ssds-with-500gb-ssds.143077/

Last edited:
Booting manually into the older kernel with grub->advanced works, so it has to be a problem with the proxmox-boot-tool

What does proxmox-boot-tool status show?
Nothing out of the ordinary

Code:
root@proxmox3-ng:~# proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with legacy bios
3C18-FADA is configured with: grub (versions: 6.5.13-5-pve, 6.8.4-2-pve)
3CD7-1A85 is configured with: grub (versions: 6.5.13-5-pve, 6.8.4-2-pve)

Maybe try an update-initramfs as this should cause a refresh as per docs, as I guess this is related to your disk replacement.

Maybe try an update-initramfs as this should cause a refresh as per docs, as I guess this is related to your disk replacement.
Code:
update-initramfs -u
proxmox-boot-tool reinit
proxmox-boot-tool refresh
Still booting into the unpinned kernel :/

I had a similar problem not long ago [1]. Not sure if it applies to your case: you are using root on ZFS but not sure if you are using UEFI. If your system is EFI and you updated at some point from PVE7 to PVE8, you may be missing package systemd-boot. Then proxmox-boot-tool reinit + proxmox-boot-tool refresh should pin the kernel properly.

From the known issues notes of the PVE7 to PVE8 upgrade [2]:

Node Management​

• Systems booting via UEFI from a ZFS on root setup should install the systemd-boot package after the upgrade.The systemd-boot was split out from the systemd package for Debian Bookworm based releases. It won't get installed automatically upon upgrade from Proxmox VE 7.4 as it can cause trouble on systems not booting from UEFI with ZFS on root setup by the Proxmox VE installer.Systems which have ZFS on root and boot in UEFI mode will need to manually install it if they need to initialize a new ESP (see the output of proxmox-boot-tool status and the relevant documentation).Note that the system remains bootable even without the package installed (the bootloader that was copied to the ESPs during intialization remains untouched), so you can also install it after the upgrade was finished.It is not recommended installing systemd-boot on systems which don't need it, as it would replace grub as bootloader in its postinst script.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-2-efi-zfs-default-kernel-boot.110099/post-617227
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_8.0

Reactions: jsterr
i bet on system boot from disk/part uuid different from proxmox-boot-tool status show.

edit:
post output of
ls -lha /dev/disk/by-uuid

Last edited:
Reactions: gfngfn256
i bet on system boot from disk/part uuid different from proxmox-boot-tool status show.

edit:
post output of
ls -lha /dev/disk/by-uuid
They seem correct to me
Code:
root@proxmox3-ng:~# ls -lha /dev/disk/by-uuid
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jun  4 15:52 3C18-FADA -> ../../sda2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jun  4 15:52 3CD7-1A85 -> ../../sdb2

root@proxmox3-ng:~# proxmox-boot-tool status
3C18-FADA is configured with: grub (versions: 6.5.13-5-pve, 6.8.4-2-pve)
3CD7-1A85 is configured with: grub (versions: 6.5.13-5-pve, 6.8.4-2-pve)

root@proxmox3-ng:~# cat /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids
3C18-FADA
3CD7-1A85

Last edited:
Lets try this step-by-step:

Try the following (and post here ALL the output you get):

proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.13-5-pve

Do NOT reboot yet.

proxmox-boot-tool kernel list

Reboot

FYI, proxmox-boot-tool edit [vfat-512M-boot-part]\grub\grub.cfg file , like this example :
Code:
diff grub.cfg grub.cfg.pinned
27c27
<    set default="0"
---
>    set default="gnulinux-advanced-d813a054-29dc-49e0-8e28-4f4655b55b08>gnulinux-6.5.13-5-pve-advanced-d813a054-29dc-49e0-8e28-4f4655b55b08"

mount each boot part then check grub\grub.cfg content.

Lets try this step-by-step:

Try the following (and post here ALL the output you get):

proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin 6.5.13-5-pve

Do NOT reboot yet.

proxmox-boot-tool kernel list

Reboot
Did that, boots into the new kernel

One other thing that maybe worth checking the output of:

efibootmgr -v
still not using efi

FYI, proxmox-boot-tool edit [vfat-512M-boot-part]\grub\grub.cfg file , like this example :
Code:
diff grub.cfg grub.cfg.pinned
27c27
<    set default="0"
---
>    set default="gnulinux-advanced-d813a054-29dc-49e0-8e28-4f4655b55b08>gnulinux-6.5.13-5-pve-advanced-d813a054-29dc-49e0-8e28-4f4655b55b08"

mount each boot part then check grub\grub.cfg content.
Code:
root@proxmox3-ng:~# cat /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep default
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set default="gnulinux-advanced-0c5a246d8caf017b>gnulinux-6.5.13-5-pve-advanced-0c5a246d8caf017b"

Code:
Code:
root@proxmox3-ng:~# cat /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep default
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set default="gnulinux-advanced-0c5a246d8caf017b>gnulinux-6.5.13-5-pve-advanced-0c5a246d8caf017b"
same result for the two boot partitions ?

Try disconnecting (temporarily) ALL other drives from the host (incl. HDDs & SDDs, USB sticks, SD cards etc.) & boot with ONLY the 2 above drives?

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!