kernel modules between PVE and LXC (WebDAV)

MG-X

May 5, 2022
Good evening,
I don't quite understand how the kernel sharing between the PVE host and an LXC works. I want to use a WebDAV mount (davfs2) on an LXC. When I try to do that it tells me modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.35-1-pve. I found out the the problem is the missing fuse module in the kernel. So when I do lsmod on the PVE there is indeed no fuse listed (lsmod | grep fuse returns nothing). But on the PVE host I can mount WebDAV shares :oops:

Why is this possible when the module is missing and how do I now get it to work on my LXC as well?

PVE V.7.2-3, Kernel 5.15.35-1-pve
LXC is an up-to-date Debian 11

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, this works!
But what is going on with the kernel module between the the host and the LXC?

"lsmod" shows you loaded modules. fuse is one of the modules built into the kernel so it is not shown. You can check this via "modinfo fuse" and compare it with some module shown via lsmod. I hope this answers your question :).

Also I also just saw it that you can enable the fuse mount in the container. The documentation just doesn't recommend it:

1652187335900.png

Reactions: MG-X
Thank you so much for your answer! Of course it had to be a simple checkbox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!