kernel: i40e 0000:60:00.1: Error I40E_AQ_RC_ENOSPC, forcing overflow promiscuous on PF

ran

Feb 13, 2019
We have a cluster of proxmox servers (pve-manager/7.3-3)

Ocassionaly one of the servers freezes and restarts with this message in syslog:

kernel: i40e 0000:60:00.1: Error I40E_AQ_RC_ENOSPC, forcing overflow promiscuous on PF

it repeates itself a lot of times then reboots,

how can i solve this issue and make sure it is solved?

i read other threads that suggest to do something like that:
ethtool -K enp33s0f0 rx-vlan-filter off

and
iface <interface> inet manual
pre-up /usr/sbin/ethtool -K <interface> rx-vlan-filter off

can it really be the solution?
We have live machines with vlans in use on the hosts ( around 80-100 vms)

The worst thing in this situation is that we move vms from one host that it happened in to another host and the vm looses it's connectivity entirely
untill we stop the vm remove the NIC and start the VM again (or move it back to the crashed host).

Thanks.

Does someone knows how it can happen out of the blue?

if the hardware bug was there all the time why did it just started happening recently?

Thanks.

Reactions: troublestarter
Nothing helped so far, tried settings the rx-vlan-offload
Will upgrading the firmware of the blade can help with supermicro Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection X722
is there any other "easy" solution?
i did see some suggestion to set only the specific vlans (bridge-vids) that i need in a host, but it's really a bad idea and will cause a mess when Vms move arround in HA enviorment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!