[TUTORIAL] Just installed Proxmox what next?

elizabeth_jones

Jun 29, 2024
I have just installed proxmox on my dell optiplex 7050. Is there anything I should be doing before I start messing around with Home Assistant and pi hole? I’ve never used either before and preparing to spend the KrogerFeedback Survey rest of my weekend messing around with both.

Any other VMs I should look at installing to mess around with very new to the VM world. Do I need to keep the screen connected to the optiplex or can I remove it?

Also I’m reading a lot about ssh do I need something like that on my main pc if so which should I look at?

Any help massively appreciated!

Last edited:
I have just installed proxmox on my dell optiplex 7050. Is there anything I should be doing before I start messing around with Home Assistant and pi hole? I’ve never used either before and preparing to spend the rest of my weekend messing around with both.
only configure repo and u should good to go https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_Repositories
Any other VMs I should look at installing to mess around with very new to the VM world. Do I need to keep the screen connected to the optiplex or can I remove it?
you don't need screen just use the webui of proxmox
Also I’m reading a lot about ssh do I need something like that on my main pc if so which should I look at?
if you are using the web UI , you can do without ssh

Is there anything I should be doing before I start messing around
A complete list would be really long and really depends on your own personal universe. Some random hints:
  • take some time to experiment - this means it should be okay for you to lose everything and start from scratch tomorrow
  • think about some redundancy - ZFS mirrors for example, and a second/third Node for functional redundancy of a complete computer on the long run
  • during experiments the capability of ZFS to create "cheap" snapshots every few minutes is really valuable
  • you might setup a backup system first, before creating "real" (valuable) VMs - so you could create backups before destroying valuable work by accident; PBS is the recommended choice of course
  • is everything in one local network? My choice is to separate VMs in isolated areas like dmz/lan/media/iot/isolated/tor/localservers/publicservers/wlanguest/wlanprivate and so on. This is a complex topic in itself and once started it tends to reach "overkill"-level quickly ;-)
But besides all of that: just start. Learning by doing is fine!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!