Joining the cluster, lvm-thin is lost

tdyun

Apr 17, 2024
I just joined a cluster server and something bad happened. The lvm-thin storage on the node is missing and I can't see any information in the web interface. I looked up a lot of cases and re-added the storage---lvmthin in the data center, but it didn't work, it's still missing. How can I get this thinpool back? It's in production and has VMs running. Sorry I'm new to this

root@pve:~# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1 259:0 0 3.6T 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 1007K 0 part
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 1G 0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 3.6T 0 part
├─pve-swap 253:0 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├─pve-root 253:1 0 97G 0 lvm /
└─pve-data 253:2 0 3.5T 0 lvm /mnt/data
root@pve:~# pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/nvme0n1p3 pve lvm2 a-- <3.64t 0
root@HYTRON-HK-TGTHKDC2-3-SERVER-14:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 3 0 wz--n- <3.64t 0
root@pve:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve -wi-ao---- <3.54t
root pve -wi-ao---- 97.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
root@pve:~#

Last edited:
It's in production and has VMs running.
Also see the part of the manual that mentions to only join EMPTY nodes:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#pvecm_join_node_to_cluster said:
All existing configuration in /etc/pve is overwritten when joining a cluster. In particular, a joining node cannot hold any guests, since guest IDs could otherwise conflict, and the node will inherit the cluster’s storage configuration. To join a node with existing guest, as a workaround, you can create a backup of each guest (using vzdump) and restore it under a different ID after joining. If the node’s storage layout differs, you will need to re-add the node’s storages, and adapt each storage’s node restriction to reflect on which nodes the storage is actually available.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!