It is possible to edit the ID of a node?

Sagitario

Nov 21, 2015
sd.png
Look this image, I want to change the ID 0 to 1 or 2 for example.
Would anyone know how?
Greatss!!

Upfront question, why? :D

So to answer your question we have do differ between to cases:

*) Single node - no cluster configured: no, here we give back 0 as there is simply no reason to another value. If you do not want to change the code then no, there is no possibility.

*) Cluster:
The node id is used and given by corosync, so yes you can change it in a cluster, simply edit the /etc/pve/corosync.conf file and change the respective nodeid.
Maybe do a reboot of said node after that and then your done.

But it does not give you any features or anything and I don't know if it has bad side effects (I suppose not but never really thought about it)

Last edited:
Reactions: jsterr
Upfront question, why? :D

So to answer your question we have do differ between to cases:

*) Single node - no cluster configured: no, here we give back 0 as there is simply no reason to another value. If you do not want to change the code then no, there is no possibility.

*) Cluster:
The node id is used and given by corosync, so yes you can change it in a cluster, simply edit the /etc/pve/corosync.conf file and change the respective nodeid.
Maybe do a reboot of said node after that and then your done.

But it does not give you any features or anything and I don't know if it has bad side effects (I suppose not but never really thought about it)
Tried to do the 2nd step, for the cluster -
Code:
 systemctl stop pve-cluster corosync.service
## Edited and changed Cluster's Node ID
vi /etc/corosync/corosync.conf    
pmxcfs -l
## Edited and changed Cluster's Node ID
vi /etc/pve/corosync.conf
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster.service corosync.service

But then come's the following error - "hostname lookup 'pve4' failed - failed to get address info for: pve4: Temporary failure in name resolution (500)"

Edit: I have did the same thing on the host and the node itself, then the issue got fixed!

Last edited:
But then come's the following error - "hostname lookup 'pve4' failed - failed to get address info for: pve4: Temporary failure in name resolution (500)"

Edit: I have did the same thing on the host and the node itself, then the issue got fixed!

You changed more than IDs. Also, you edited 2 instances of the file, the /etc/pve one would have distributed your change for you to the other nodes (if you had not changed hostname).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!