Issues restoring PVE via Clonezilla

molnart

Jul 30, 2020
I want to move my PVE host to a larger disk. I did this process in the past without any problems (actually I have even restored to a smaller drive with some trial and error) but now it fails.
- I have created a Clonezilla full disk backup on my NAS
- when trying to restore the Clonezilla image I am getting this error:

Code:
Creating the PV...
  WARNING: Couldn't find device with uuid 2LN7QE-SVzv-2irJ-1JZ7-fCxB-Sp3n-pLfv8w.
  Physical volume "/dev/sda3" successfully created.
done.
Restoring the VG config...
  Consider using option --force to restore Volume Group pve with thin volumes.
  Restore failed.

Both the old and the new disks are nvme, but the new disk is in an external enclosure (for the purposes of the restore, as I am doing that on a different machine) therefore it is reported the system as /dev/sda instead of /dev/nvme0n1. Any idea what could be wrong? Next I'll try connecting the new drive directly in the nvme m.2 slot to avoid issues stemming from the external enclosure, but not sure how much it will help.

Have you ever, in the past, managed to successfully restore a clonezilla disk image that contained lvm-thin volumes?

I've shyed away from it due to seeing similar logs from clonezilla regarding volumes on LVM-thin VGs. Consequently I only use clonezilla to backup the PVE system disk, which in my case contains only a regular VG with no thin provisioned volumes.
The lvm-thin VGs are on seperate disks for which I do not rely on disk imaging. I guess, if you used dumb imaging, the backup can be restored without fear of issues, but that approach would probably produce much larger archives.

surely i did. i am running proxmox for ~5 years and I have migrated disks at least 4 times and it always worked. i never used anything else than thin-lvm as the machine never supported more than 1 drive.

Reactions: keeka

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!