Issue with Starting VM's (KVM Start failed Permission Denied)

silwandr

Dec 15, 2021
Hello,

Like the subject explains. Trying to start 2 VM's (100 and 104) both won't start for similar error.

kvm: -drive file=/mnt/pve/Storage/images/104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,discard=on,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=unmap: Could not open '/mnt/pve/Storage/images/104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2': Permission denied
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

How do i try to debug and resolve. Help is appreciated.

By the way,

I don't think these 2 VM's were of type qcow2 at initialization of these VM's. All my VMS are on a ZFS pool. I didn't capture the log but I shutdown both these VM's after a message about journald was in the consoles and was repeated heavily in the logs.

Don't know if these vm drives became qcow2's due to the issue.

Things don't magically change to qcow2 by themselves. That's the first thing.

The second thing is the question of where these VM's really are. You say they are on your ZFS pool but the system seems to think they are on /mnt/pve/Storage/images. What is that? If it is a mounted share of some sort, is it really there? And have you checked the permissions of the files and directories in that path?

Did you migrate the disk to NFS storage for some reason? If you did, it would have automatically converted the disk to qcows.

And the permissions issue ... do you have multiple hosts? Is migrating the VMs to a different host an option? It's worth testing.

I see the issue,

Not intended, but the VM disks are sitting on a network share via SMB CIFS called storage (must of set these 2 VM's up this way). I had to do maintenance of this TrueNAS server (moved the drives onto a different server) and had to modify configuration). Thanks for the insight and clue to verify BobhWasatch.

So it is probably just a permission issue,

What should these qcow2's be permission wise?

Currently (755)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 137460187136 Aug 21 13:55 vm-104-disk-0.qcow2

Also is there a way to migrate these VM disks onto the ZFS Pool?

Last edited:
Updated the ACLS on the dataset and now I can get the system back up (must of been a user control issue).

Only thing I could use some help on is moving the VM disk to ZFS pool.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!