[SOLVED] Issue with starting Proxmox on AMD EPYC 9004 with GENOAD8X-2T/BCM (Proxmox 8.0.2)

amdepycnd

Jul 5, 2024
Hello,

I'm having issues starting Proxmox 8.0.2 on AMD EPYC 9004 with GENOAD8X-2T/BCM.

I have Proxmox 8.0.2 running on multiple AMD servers - from Ryzen through the latest Threadripper Pro, all with Asus Motherboards. However, this is my first experience trying to setting it on an Epyc server:

Initially I had issues installing Proxmox itself, couldn't pass "dev to be fully populated". But after searching for a solution, I managed to install it by going to Advance Options and choosing "nomodeset". All installed successfully.

However, when trying to start Proxmox, I do not get too far:

1. Proxmox VE GNU/Linux

I get to the following 12 lines of text, ending "[ 14.910688] usb 3-2: can't set config #1, error -71"
1000038685.jpg
Nothing happens, no matter how long I wait...

As I do not see any errors, I tried to get more info by using p.2 ->

2. Advanced options for Proxmox VE GNU/Linux -> Proxmox VE GNU/Linux, with Linux 6.2.16-3-pve (recovery mode).

I get to the following screen (see attached) ending with:

"15.38.7449] snd_hda_intel 0000:82:00.1: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)", and it just stays there.
1000038683.jpg
Nothing happens, no matter how long I wait...

Here are the main BIOS settings that could be related to this and are enabled:

• SVM - enabled
• IOMMU - enabled
• Re-Size BAR Support - enabled
• SR-IOV Support - enabled

Any idea what the issue is? How can I resolve this? I really do not understand why that is happening.

Thank you very much in advance!

Did you try to install the recent PVE 8.2 version in case that problem got already fixed? There are lots of major bugs and vulnerabilities when running that old unpatched PVE 8.0.2. Like corrupting partition tables on guests using SATA and similar.

Did you try to install the recent PVE 8.2 version in case that problem got already fixed? There are lots of major bugs and vulnerabilities when running that old unpatched PVE 8.0.2. Like corrupting partition tables on guests using SATA and similar.
I still haven't tried it. I was saving it as a last resort in case the issue is related to something simple as a setting in BIOS (I do not have experience with Epyc, this is my first attempt with this platform).

I still haven't tried it. I was saving it as a last resort in case the issue is related to something simple as a setting in BIOS (I do not have experience with Epyc, this is my first attempt with this platform).
I've installed PVE 8.2. I literally went through hell until I managed to install it successfully. But finally, Proxmox is starting flawlessly!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!