Issue with qm remote-migrate: Target Node Reports as Too Old Despite Newer Version

geffin

Jun 15, 2023
Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on migrating a VM from one Proxmox host to another using the qm remote-migrate command with an API token and the fingerprint of the destination host.
  • Source Host Version: Proxmox 8.1.4
  • Destination Host Version: Proxmox 8.2.5
However, the migration fails with the following error:

ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): target node is too old (manager <= 7.2-13) and doesn't support new cloudinit section

This error suggests that the target node is running an older version of Proxmox (< 7.2-13), but the destination node is actually on 8.2.5, which is a newer version. I’ve double-checked the versions on both nodes, and everything seems correct.

Here’s the command I’m running for the migration:

qm remote-migrate 510 510 'apitoken=PVEAPIToken=root@pam!pvetransfer=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,host=xxx.xxx.xx.xxx,fingerprint=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' --target-bridge vmbr0 --target-storage STORE1 --online

Has anyone come across this issue before? Any ideas or suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Thanks for the help buddy, I have removed the cloudinit driver and the migration went through successfully. So am I right in assuming that the cloudinit versions of the source and destination host needs to be the same?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!