[SOLVED] Issue installing Proxmox with flashdrive on Dell Optiplex 3050 - SOLVED

extreme_escapist

Jul 21, 2024
Hey everyone!

I've had a ton of issues installing Proxmox on my Optiplex over the past couple of weeks, and even though I combed for advice on this site, I figured it out on my own through a lot of trial and error. I wanted to share my process in the hopes that it helps others:

1. I used Ventoy on a flashdrive to boot the Proxmox installer. I found that the latest version that my Optiplex was capable of booting was version 7.4. If I tried a later version (8.2, 8.1, 8.0), it was able to find the ISO, but showed in the terminal "... no, or wrong proxmox cd-id, skipping". Eventually it would time out and ask me to reboot.

2. After inserting the flashdrive and booting up the computer, I entered the BIOS settings and made sure to boot using Legacy (not UEFI) and deleting everything in the boot sequence except for USB. This let me get into the Proxmox installer, which went pretty smoothly (make sure to choose normal mode and choose Proxmox PVE).

3. The system will reboot after finishing installation. Pull out the flashdrive, and immediately start hitting that F2 key to get back into the BIOS. Change the settings to boot using UEFI, and delete everything in the boot sequence except your hard drive. Then boot. You should be greeted by a terminal, and it's smooth sailling from there.

Pro-tip: please don't forget to hook your computer up to Ethernet. I was having network connectivity issues for a while, and forgot to check...

I hope this helps! If you had issues with your Optiplex, let me know what worked for you.

It is very kind of you to share. Maybe you tag-prefix the title with [Tutorial] which seems more appropriate.

BTW were you able to update PVE to the latest - once installed?

or wrong proxmox cd-id
Errors like these are normally caused by the writing program/medium used with the USB. You should have tried plain balenaEtcher - it usually just works. If not just try another USB flash drive again with balenaEtcher.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!