Issue Adding Second Proxmox Node to Cluster

issa2020

Sep 9, 2020
Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well. I'm currently encountering an issue while trying to add a second Proxmox node to a cluster setup.

Here's the scenario:

I have two Proxmox servers, and I've set up a cluster configuration on one of them successfully. However, when attempting to add the second node to the cluster using the command pvecm add I192.168.1.29, I encounter the following error:

Code:
root@proxmox2:~# pvecm add I192.168.1.29

Please enter superuser (root) password for 'I192.168.1.29': ********
detected the following error(s):
* this host already contains virtual guests
* corosync is already running, is this node already in a cluster?!
Check if node may join a cluster failed!

Code:
root@proxmox2:~# pvecm status
Error: Corosync config '/etc/pve/corosync.conf' does not exist - is this node part of a cluster?
root@proxmox2:~# pvecm nodes
Error: Corosync config '/etc/pve/corosync.conf' does not exist - is this node part of a cluster?

It seems like there are virtual guests present on the second server, and corosync might already be running, suggesting that this node might already be a part of a cluster, although it's not showing up in the existing cluster.

I've double-checked the configuration and it appears that the second node isn't part of any cluster yet.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue before or could provide guidance on resolving this? I'd appreciate any insights or suggestions to troubleshoot and successfully add the second Proxmox node to the cluster.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!