Isolating VM's from Local Network

chlowjow

Mar 25, 2024
Good day people,

I want to isolate my vm's from my local network. It sounds easy, but for me difficult to do.
I have read a lot on the forums. There are basically 3 ways: Vlan, Bridge or Firewall.
Vlan, to difficult and do not have a managed switch and do not have a capable router which can handle Vlan's.

I am trying to configure it via Firewall.
Please see attached Jpeg with the nescesarry steps from Stefan (Oct 2022)

I could follow all steps in the attached jpeg except the one with Out Drop -dest 192.168.0.0/16
I don't know which commands I have to type to get the code in shell or SSH so I am doing these settings all through the GUI.
When I enter Destiniation 192.168.0.0/16 it give me a error, and there is no other possible place to enter the /16 (subnet) please see second attached file.
When I enter it without the /16 it is not giving me a error when I save the settings but nothing changes, my vm's are still able to see the devices in my loca network

Can somebody help me?

Attachments

• LAN.jpg
    LAN.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Lan 2.jpg
    Lan 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40
If you just want to have VMs isolated from the local network, you could create a zone Vxlan, create a vnet on this zone and to attach the network of your VMs to this vnet.

This way this VM won't access you local network.

If you just want to have VMs isolated from the local network, you could create a zone Vxlan, create a vnet on this zone and to attach the network of your VMs to this vnet.

This way this VM won't access you local network.
Thanks for your reply.
Can you tell me how I can configure this?

Reactions: chlowjow

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!