iscsi, multipath, volume groups, lvm - Very Confused!

gob

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2011
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Hi

I am setting up a new environment with 2 x DELL R410 hosts and a DELL MD3200i iSCSI SAN. Running ProxMox 2.1-1

The hosts have 4 NICS, two for networking and two for iSCSI.
There are 2 x 4 iSCSI NICs on the MD3200i.
I have an HP switch with VLANs between the hosts and iSCSI.
There is one LUN on the SAN which I want to share between the two hosts to allow migration of VMs between the hosts.

I spent 6 hours researching the setup of the disk array and multipath but I'm actually more confused now than before I started.

I think I have multipath working as I get the following on both hosts (I am only using one NIC on each controller of the MD3200i):

Code:
root@prox1:~# multipath -ll
mpath1 (36d4ae520009b514a000002e6500512e9) dm-3 DELL,MD32xxi
size=837G features='3 queue_if_no_path pg_init_retries 50' hwhandler='1 rdac' wp=rw
|-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=6 status=active
| `- 5:0:0:0 sdc 8:32 active ready running
`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=1 status=enabled
  `- 6:0:0:0 sdb 8:16 active ghost running

The problem I am faced with now is how to get the storage usable by the hosts. I am unsure what to do next- with command line and what can be done in the v2.0 GUI.

What is the relationship between Multipath, volume groups and LVM volumes?
Do I need to create a volume group?
Do I have to do it manually or is it done automatically when I add the storage through the gui?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive guide on how to achieve what I want from start to end.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Gordon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!