[SOLVED] Is this pre-installation info still valid? [Bios - PciePassthrough]

ieronymous

Apr 1, 2019
Hello

I came across an interesting comment about the relation between bios and the conf files to be altered (upon the procedure of passing through a pcie device) depending of the way the bios of the physical machine has been setup. What is even more interested is that the pass through official guide doesn t mention anything about it,
So here it goes... <<<<If booting the host using UEFI than legacy bios you need to add the kernel command line parameters in /etc/kernel/cmdline rather than
/etc/default/grub You then need to run pve-efiboot-tool refresh and reboot>>>>>

If the above is true then
- vfio / vfio_iommu_type1/ vfio_pci / vfio_virqfd kernel modules have to be loaded in another path instead of /etc/modules ???

- echo "options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf and
echo "options kvm ignore_msrs=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf Are these 2 paths the ones you enter the above lines???

-You still black list drivers from being loaded in this path? /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

- is /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf the path to add the pci device to the VFIO ????

If any other paths also change because of the change in bios from legacy to uefi please hep me to gather all that info together.

Thank you

Best check out the bootloader chapter in the docs: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot

systemd-boot is only used if you install PVE in UEFI mode with ZFS as root FS. And that only changes where you need to place additional kernel boot parameters and that you don't need to run update-grub but pve-efiboot-tool refresh. The /etc/modules and other stuff stays the same.

Last edited:
Best check out the bootloader chapter in the docs: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot

systemd-boot is only used if you install PVE in UEFI mode with ZFS as root FS. And that only changes where you need to place additional kernel boot parameters and that you don't need to run update-grub but pve-efiboot-tool refresh. The /etc/modules and other stuff stays the same.

Thank you for your quick reply, Well I neglect to mention that in my setup Proxmox has been setup in mirror zfs with 2 ssd drives but how can I be sure of the mode of the installaltion if it is UEFI? I do have a populated /etc/kernel/cmdline line. Any cli command to run for any additional info it might be useful?

Edit: I guess by running in cli efibootmgr -v and judging from the result?
According to this Boot0000* Linux Boot Manager HD(2,GPT,382ab094-62bb-463c-a275-1c558bd3862d,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\systemd\systemd-bootx64.efi) Boot0001 Diskette Drive BBS(Floppy,Diskette Drive,0x0)AMBO Boot0002* Linux Boot Manager HD(2,GPT,51a95440-a1f4-43b4-9827-05c607bcdd7d,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\systemd\systemd-bootx64.efi) Boot0003* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,8ad9c7d3-3c4e-43c5-9b16-0400da64e936,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi) I am using systemd-boot

Last edited:
Looks like it. Check the Docs that I linked to. There is a sub chapter regarding determining which bootloader is used :)

Looks like it. Check the Docs that I linked to. There is a sub chapter regarding determining which bootloader is used :)
Thank you helping me clarify that (already read the link) I have installed Proxmox and setup VMs / CTs etc many times and suddenly yesterday I was being asked that and I didnt want to answer what i think was right but what it really is. So I dropped a line here.

Thank you once again.

PS I hope you to help in my nearly future new post too. :) (about passing through a nic but I haveto write it down properly in order to become a
definition question :) )

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!