Is there a way to backup proxmox itself?

foxyproxy

Dec 19, 2022
Hi,

Aside from backing up all my VM's to proxmox backup server, is there a way to backup proxmox ve as well? I'm thinking of the scenario where a robbery occurrs and I need to rebuild the PVE from backups.

To date, I've made tweaks to PVE over time (SMTP Server, cron jobs etc...) and it would be nice to be able to go and buy a new machine, restore from backup and be running again.

Is this possible? What other solutions are there to get PVE back up and running as quickly as possible in the event PVE and PBS get stolen and all I have are the backups?

I honestly though it would be easier than that :)

I might have to look for other ways to accomplish this

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a better/easier alternative to this instruction. Maybe in the next versions of PVE there is already the possibility to backup an entire PVE host.

If you find a better variant, please let me know. :)

i dont understand what is difficult .... am i missing something
PVE is a linux host
install proxmox backup
back it up like any other linux
if you want be specific :
/root /etc and /etc/pve should be a good start

Proxmox Backup Server only backs up VM's and Containers, not PVE.

I'd like to backup PVE so that in the event of a disaster I can just restore from an image. Keep in mind I've made several tweaks and changes to PVE so doing a fresh install will be a major pain in getting things back the way they were. That's the whole point of a backup. Disaster strikes, restore from backup with minimal downtime.

Keep in mind I've made several tweaks and changes to PVE so doing a fresh install will be a major pain in getting things back the way they were.
And these things are one reason why there is no one-click solution yet. Only you know which parts and config files you touched.

The already installed proxmox-backup-client can be run locally like on any other Debian based distro and be sent to the PBS.

Documenting what exactly you changed is another good (additional) step. So you know why certain configs were changed in certain ways.

And these things are one reason why there is no one-click solution yet. Only you know which parts and config files you touched.

The already installed proxmox-backup-client can be run locally like on any other Debian based distro and be sent to the PBS.

Documenting what exactly you changed is another good (additional) step. So you know why certain configs were changed in certain ways.
Your missing the point. A full disk image would solve this problem.

That would work, however, I'd like my backups to be as up to date as possible. Taking my machine offline once a week to do a clone would be a massive pain. It needs to be backed up while running.

There are various backup apps for Windows server which perform full disk backups as it's running. I don't see why this isn't possible with Linux.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!