Is there a simple, definitive guide to a drive replacement.

jaxjexjox

Mar 25, 2022
My Proxmox machine is a single 256GB NVMe m.2 drive, it works fine and it's been ok for space but it got tight today and I have a spare 1TB disk.

I've got USB-C to NVMe (real, not SATA) caddies I could use to clone the disk, I think my system might have dual M.2 slots.

Is there an outright, dummy guide to simply performing a full clone of the system to a new drive? (I use ZFS, with compression if this impacts things)

Thanks any and all for the hard work, I appreciate it.

Hi,

I Recommend to backup every VM, CT. Then reinstall it get your self 2 NVME or 2 SATA SSD's setup it as ZFS raid Mirror.
Why you ask if one goes down you Server/PC still runs. If you wanne go that pad with an NVME usb-C drive not recommended.

Happy To Help you out,
By Netwerkfix

Hi,

I Recommend to backup every VM, CT. Then reinstall it get your self 2 NVME or 2 SATA SSD's setup it as ZFS raid Mirror.
Why you ask if one goes down you Server/PC still runs. If you wanne go that pad with an NVME usb-C drive not recommended.

Happy To Help you out,
By Netwerkfix

I already run PBS and perform many backups weekly and nightly, I'm totally fine running a single disk, because if I lose the lot, I can just re-install and restore the VMs from the PBS machine.

The USB-C caddy, is purely about migration and cloning processes, not long term storage.

Hi,

Okay, What's the Question then?
Because I give you an Result of

Is there a simple, definitive guide to a drive replacement.​

You anwser also got an Backup's?

I am after a comprehensive suggestion on drive migration, example clonezilla (and or other steps) if required.

I am after a comprehensive suggestion on drive migration, example clonezilla (and or other steps) if required.
you can use disk copy tools and buy some nvme to usb drive reader then you can copy on an laptop drive to drive.
But this is not an Question about Proxmox or Something else this is more question regarding Systems.

So you need to search your self or Buy an ICT Company / Friend who works in ICT :)

Can you set it as Solved?
Because its not an question about Proxmox its more Systems

No I won't mark it as solved, looking for someone who specifically has done this previously and can suggest the correct tools.
I work in the industry, I'm after specifics. I know how to experiment and attempt to try this, I've cloned possibly hundreds of systems.
However it's possible there may be some important caveats to bear in mind with the proxmox filesystem as well as ZFS setup and ensuring the system is bootable.

Could anyone please else chime in who has done this before? I'd really appreciate it heaps, thank you.

No I won't mark it as solved, looking for someone who specifically has done this previously and can suggest the correct tools.
I work in the industry, I'm after specifics. I know how to experiment and attempt to try this, I've cloned possibly hundreds of systems.
However it's possible there may be some important caveats to bear in mind with the proxmox filesystem as well as ZFS setup and ensuring the system is bootable.

Could anyone please else chime in who has done this before? I'd really appreciate it heaps, thank you.
If you work in ICT industry you normal know the awser but ok :)
I hope for you someone gonne help you futher, I can't tell more because i'm not paid for this :)

But i give you enough to know an also you work in ICT, so you need to know the answer.

But have an greate day JaxjeJox.

Happy To Help,
By Netwerkfix :)

Just treat it as a failed disk scenario:

Code:
fdisk -l
zpool status
In my case it will be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, where /dev/sda is "broken". There are typically 3 partitions, sdb1 for the BIOS boot partition, sdb2 for the EFI and sdb3 for the actual "data". You may need to edit the below depending on that number.
Copy the partition table and randomize the GUID
Code:
sgdisk /dev/sdb -R /dev/sda
sgdisk --randomize-guids /dev/sda
On Proxmox we have a tool that formats and copies the boot loader
Code:
pve-efiboot-tool format /dev/sda2 --force
pve-efiboot-tool init /dev/sda2
We are booting from ZFS (rpool), attach the disk as a mirror to the original disk. Note, the -f "forces" the command in case the disk was previously used in a ZFS pool. The force may or may not be necessary, try first without. Note, in my case the ata-SuperMicro_SSD syntax can be found corresponding to the disks/partitions in /dev/disk/by-id, will be different for you, often you get a serial number etc, so use accordingly.
Code:
zpool attach -f rpool ata-SuperMicro_SSD_(working)-part3 ata-SuperMicro_SSD_(new)-part3
Make sure the pool starts resilvering and make sure pve-efiboot-tool pushes data to both disks
Code:
zpool status
pve-efiboot-tool refresh

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!