Is There a Password Restriction Policy in Proxmox VE?

saudcro

Aug 20, 2024
We are using proxmox 8.3 VE for a client, their information security dept has raised concerns over the password policy and asks us to restrict users from changing their password to only alphanumeric, is there any solution for this as when you change the password of the user in GUI, it accepts any parah, for example, if I input 12345 or abcd@1234, it will accept both cases, client is asking us to restrict or change this policy to alphanumeric only.

Hello,

you'll have to install libpam-pwquality, then configure /etc/security/pwquality.conf .
Note: this is valid for PAM users; not sure if such a restriction is possible for @pve users.

Kind regards,

GD

Reactions: saudcro
Will this work for GUI? I have just made changes after reading this article and it still accepts 12345 as the password despite setting the length to 8

You're right. Just tested it and changing a PAM user's password via the gui overrides libpam-pwquality or even chage settings T_T .
This needs further investigation. By now I suggest you set up 2FA to address your client's security concerns.

Kind regards,

GD

Reactions: saudcro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!