Is network set up in unmanaged containers?

harvie

Apr 5, 2017
Hello,
if i set container ostype: unmanaged will proxmox/lxc configure it's network?

I understand that it no longer can't do the distro specific setup (eg.: edit /etc/network/interfaces for debian), but it still can configure network dynamicaly eg. using lxc.net.0.ipv4.address = 192.168.1.1/25 or lxc.hook.mount = ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up, which might be sufficient if container system will not deconfigure the interface afterwards. (Note that this will use ifconfig from host while executing it inside the container, to configure eth0 inside container, so there's not even need to have ifconfig inside for this to work). Also hostname can be configured dynamicaly (by calling hostname command, without writing it to /etc/hostname)

Is this the case, or "unmanaged" means just that nothing is configured at all? Wiki is not really clear about this:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_guest_operating_system_configuration

I can also imagine that /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/shadow can be safely assumed even when we don't know what distro it is. also configuring getty, deleting ssh hostkeys and randomizing crontab can be made if they are present without knowing what distro is running in container.

I guess there's place for some generic linux template that would not be dependent on specific distro. Just for people who want to keep things simple. Something that could be called: /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/Linux-generic.pm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!