[SOLVED] Is it safe to install "libguestfs-tools" directly on PVE?

Razva

Renowned Member
Dec 3, 2013
Romania
cncted.com
Hey,

Is it safe to install libguestfs-tools? It installs a lot of stuff and I don't know if/how it interferes with current PVE services.

Bash:
The following additional packages will be installed:
  acl augeas-lenses binutils binutils-common binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu cryptsetup-bin curl db-util db5.3-util exfat-fuse
  exfat-utils extlinux fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono gawk ghostscript gsfonts hfsplus icoutils ldmtool libafflib0v5
  libaugeas0 libbinutils libconfig9 libcups2 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libcurl4 libdate-manip-perl libewf2 libgs9
  libgs9-common libguestfs-hfsplus libguestfs-perl libguestfs-reiserfs libguestfs-xfs libguestfs0 libhfsp0 libhivex0
  libijs-0.35 libintl-perl libintl-xs-perl libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common liblcms2-2
  libldm-1.0-0 libmpfr6 libnetpbm10 libntfs-3g883 libopenjp2-7 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libparted2 libsigsegv2
  libsys-virt-perl libtiff5 libtsk13 libvirt0 libwebp6 libwin-hivex-perl libxml-xpath-perl libyajl2 libyara3
  linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64 linux-image-amd64 lsscsi mdadm mtools netpbm ntfs-3g osinfo-db parted poppler-data reiserfsprogs
  scrub sgabios sleuthkit squashfs-tools supermin syslinux syslinux-common zerofree
Suggested packages:
  augeas-doc binutils-doc fonts-noto gawk-doc ghostscript-x augeas-tools cups-common libguestfs-gfs2 libguestfs-jfs
  libguestfs-nilfs libguestfs-rescue libguestfs-rsync libguestfs-zfs liblcms2-utils libparted-dev libparted-i18n
  linux-doc-4.19 debian-kernel-handbook dracut-core floppyd parted-doc poppler-utils fonts-japanese-mincho
  | fonts-ipafont-mincho fonts-japanese-gothic | fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-nanum autopsy
  mac-robber
Recommended packages:
  firmware-linux-free
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  acl augeas-lenses binutils binutils-common binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu cryptsetup-bin curl db-util db5.3-util exfat-fuse
  exfat-utils extlinux fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono gawk ghostscript gsfonts hfsplus icoutils ldmtool libafflib0v5
  libaugeas0 libbinutils libconfig9 libcupsfilters1 libcupsimage2 libcurl4 libdate-manip-perl libewf2 libgs9 libgs9-common
  libguestfs-hfsplus libguestfs-perl libguestfs-reiserfs libguestfs-tools libguestfs-xfs libguestfs0 libhfsp0 libhivex0
  libijs-0.35 libintl-perl libintl-xs-perl libjbig0 libjbig2dec0 libjson-glib-1.0-0 libjson-glib-1.0-common liblcms2-2
  libldm-1.0-0 libmpfr6 libnetpbm10 libntfs-3g883 libopenjp2-7 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libparted2 libsigsegv2
  libsys-virt-perl libtiff5 libtsk13 libvirt0 libwebp6 libwin-hivex-perl libxml-xpath-perl libyajl2 libyara3
  linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64 linux-image-amd64 lsscsi mdadm mtools netpbm ntfs-3g osinfo-db parted poppler-data reiserfsprogs
  scrub sgabios sleuthkit squashfs-tools supermin syslinux syslinux-common zerofree
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libcups2
1 upgraded, 84 newly installed, 0 to remove and 94 not upgraded.
Need to get 101 MB of archives.
After this operation, 458 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Thank you!

hi,

it's not compatible with PVE.

why do you need it?

hi,

it's not compatible with PVE.

why do you need it?
I would like to generate some cloud ready images, and for that I need virt-sysprep and virt-sparsify. I don't need any kind of compatibility with PVE, I just don't want to break it if I install the aftermentioned tools.

you can install it, it shouldn't break your install.

i'd install it with apt install --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests libguestfs-tools.

just be aware that you can't manage proxmox guests with libvirt.

Yes it's safe to install it. It may or may not work inside a VM if nested KVM is broken. If it fails, try setting:

export LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND_SETTINGS=force_tcg

and if that doesn't work run `libguestfs-test-tool`.

FWIW, the suggestion from @oguz was needed for my purposes (proxmox-ve6.3-2) - otherwise you'll run into this:

Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.4

you can install it, it shouldn't break your install.

i'd install it with apt install --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests libguestfs-tools.

just be aware that you can't manage proxmox guests with libvirt.
I have strange behavior on proxmox 7.1. Without libguestfs-tools installed mounted images are not available inside LXC.
Just installing this tool fix the problem - but I am not even using libguestfs-tools directly.

What I have:
proxmox 7.1 host with LXC alpine with bind-mount (mp0: /media/storage/,mp=/media/nas,mountoptions=noatime)
vhd image file located at host in /media/storage/image.vhd

What I need:
mount vhd image on host and make it content available inside LXC alipne

What I am doing:
modprobe nbd max_part=8
qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 /media/storage/image.vhd
fdisk /dev/nbd0 -l
mount /dev/nbd0p1 /media/storage/vhd

It is only working if libguestfs installed and only if I execute this commands AFTER LXC started...
Is it safe to keep using this approach or it work just by a mistake?

Without libguestfs I am getting access error in LXC (vhd contain NTFS file system) and cant fix it even by chmod (FS in readonly mode).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!