Is it possible to install Proxmox on WSL2 Debian distro with GPU passthrough?

ANONIMNIQ

Oct 29, 2021
hoidapsuckhoe.online
I want to install Proxmox server inside WSL Debian and install macos VM with GPU passthrough. Is this possible? When I tried to install proxmox installation failed with this errors:
Code:
Setting up pve-manager (7.2-3) ...
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down
dpkg: error processing package pve-manager (--configure):
 installed pve-manager package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of proxmox-ve:
 proxmox-ve depends on pve-manager; however:
  Package pve-manager is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package proxmox-ve (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pve-manager
 proxmox-ve
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

My /etc/hosts:
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       DESKTOP-72FOKIA.        DESKTOP-72FOKIA
127.0.1.1       pve     pve.domain.local pvelocalhost
0.0.0.0 dvdfabstore.com
0.0.0.0 ssl.dvdfab.cn
0.0.0.0 www.dvdfabstore.com

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

any solution for this?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, right. Then just use a desktop virtualization product that does accelerated virtual gpus, or just go with a proper enterprise virtualization problem and skip windows.
I don't think there is any such product for Windows that accelerated gpu for macos vm. I have proxmox installed in one of my ssd-s with maoc and full gpu passthrough and it work fine, in the past I virtualized Windows too, but I have only one eGPU and can't run both VM-s simultaneously. That's why I prefer to use native Windows as my primary OS and find a way to virtualized macos inside.

I don't think there is any such product for Windows that accelerated gpu for macos vm. I have proxmox installed in one of my ssd-s with maoc and full gpu passthrough and it work fine, in the past I virtualized Windows too, but I have only one eGPU and can't run both VM-s simultaneously. That's why I prefer to use native Windows as my primary OS and find a way to virtualized macos inside.
Yes, I understand. Emulated MacOS is unfortunately not on par with a real Mac.

I installed proxmox in wsl using this guide:
https://github.com/gaudat/gauup/blob/master/homelab/pve-wsl2.md
Then build new kernel for kvm acceleration following this steps:
https://boxofcables.dev/accelerated-kvm-guests-on-wsl-2/

Everything worked fine. Now, if only is possible to passthrough GPU from wsl, but that's not currently supported as I know so there is no way to passthrough PCI devices that way (in proxmox settings it says IOMMU is not configured). Still, I think this is the best way to run VMs inside Windows.

any update on this 2years later? I am looking to have a node for pm on my windows host machines to make use of additional hardware infrastructure I have without needing to change those machines main purpose so this would be an ideal solution and also allow me to have some additional redundancy to the stack of nodes in a different location for backup. Any best practices?

any update on this 2years later? I am looking to have a node for pm on my windows host machines to make use of additional hardware infrastructure I have without needing to change those machines main purpose so this would be an ideal solution and also allow me to have some additional redundancy to the stack of nodes in a different location for backup. Any best practices?
You can try with a nvidia vGPU, yet I don't know if it works with MacOS. Nvidia was abandoned years ago from Apple.

You can try with a nvidia vGPU, yet I don't know if it works with MacOS. Nvidia was abandoned years ago from Apple.
Thanks for this. I went to the Nvidia site but they only reference Enterprise devices which are for the most part unobtainable by consumers like me... So I went to Nvidia developer forums to ask about 4080 support... Haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know if it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!