Is it possibe to backup VMs and CTs to a remote SMB share on a different VLAN?

Ryan_Malone

Mar 31, 2024
I have a Proxmox not, not part of a cluster, on a different VLAN than all of my NAS'. I would like to backup to a dedicated share I have on one of the NAS' for Proxmox storage and backups. I went as far as removing all restrictions between the VLANs, can ping the NAS from the Proxmox node, made the share public so no authentication is required, and it still won't backup. There doesn't appear to be any issue with access the share as it shows as connected. I have another Proxmox node backing up to the same share successfully. Therefore, I am wondering if backing up to a resource on a different VLAN is actually supported or there is something specific to be done. Does anyone know?

ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-101-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
INFO: Failed at 2024-06-13 15:41:58
ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
ERROR: Backup of VM 103 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-103-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
ERROR: Backup of VM 104 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-104-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
ERROR: Backup of VM 105 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-105-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
ERROR: Backup of VM 111 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-111-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.

I am wondering if backing up to a resource on a different VLAN is actually supported or there is something specific to be done.
This is a network problem, not a PVE problem. As long as the destination is reachable and works properly.

ERROR: Backup of VM 105 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/pve/goatherd-backup/dump/vzdump-qemu-105-2024_06_13-15_41_58.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 1005.
This suggest missing permissions or a read only mount. Please share the output of the following command in CODE tags:

Code:
mount | grep goatherd-backup

This is a network problem, not a PVE problem. As long as the destination is reachable and works properly.

This suggest missing permissions or a read only mount. Please share the output of the following command in CODE tags:

Code:
mount | grep goatherd-backup
Thanks for responding. It wasn't a read-only mount point as I was backing up another Proxmox server to it successfully. Also, I made it a public share when troubleshooting so it didn't even need any permissions, although it was secured via SMB so permissions were pretty straightforward with a username and password that every other server is using.

I ended up removing every single configuration that would isolate the 2 networks, tagging all VLANs on the port, etc. and I could transfer data, ping, and see the shares across VLANs but just couldn't backup. I ended up just changing the IP address on Proxmox to the other VLAN because it was pointless to have it in another VLAN if I had to open everything to get it working. Really doesn't seem happy backing up across VLANs.

I did notice one thing even on the same VLAN, which I thought was interesting. My backup target is an Unraid share. When I had the backup target using an NVMe cache it wouldn't work. As soon as I got rid of the cache and configured the share to only use the array as sole storage, it worked fine. I'm not sure who to blame on that one, but it would've been nice to backup from NVMe to NVMe on a 10G network. Weird.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!