Is it possible to restore a Windows Backup Server image from a VMWare hosted server to a Proxmox server?

AdminKMC

Feb 27, 2024
Hello,

I'm experimenting with different ways to move our VMWare Windows 2019 server to a Proxmox test host. What I've been trying is:

1. Create the VM on Proxmox with the same resources as the live server on VMWare. BIOS is set to UEFI and a EUFI drive was added.
2. Add the ISOs for Server 2019 and VitrtIO.
3. Connect two USB drives. One with the RAID drivers and one with the system image taken by Windows Backup of the live server.

Each time I get to the last step (initiating restore) and immediately get an error stating:

"The System image restore failed.

Error details: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup, Offline disks, cluster shared disks or disks explicitly excluded by user will not be used by windows. Ensure that disks are online and no disks are excluded by mistake. (0x80042414)"

It's worth noting that I can see the target hard drive and manipulate it with DISKPART in the Windows Recovery options. I am aware of the proper way to do this via OVF tool, but I like to try things just to see if I can make 'em happen.

Thanks,

A_KMC

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!